Re: [Healeys] Dash Area Noise

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Dash Area Noise
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2019 19:57:00 -0700

--------------B1C806E2E0E001012C875E08

Since you mentioned it ... How do we get to the bonnet hinge boxes?  My
BJ8 is largely squeak- and rattle-free, but sometimes when I hit a bump
I get a 'thunk' from that area.  I've never figured out how to get in
there to remedy the noise.

Bob

On 7/17/2019 6:54 PM, goldengt wrote:
> Bonnet hinge boxes?
> Ken Freese

  <head>
  </head>
      boxes?  My BJ8 is largely squeak- and rattle-free, but sometimes
      when I hit a bump I get a 'thunk' from that area.  I've never
      figured out how to get in there to remedy the noise.</p>
      cite="mid:20190718015418.074341A05D5@mail.cal.net">
          Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone</div>
href="mailto:roggrace@telus.net";>&lt;roggrace@telus.net&gt;</a> </div>
href="mailto:healeys@Autox.Team.Net";>&lt;healeys@Autox.Team.Net&gt;</a>"
          <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
href="mailto:healeys@autox.team.net";>&lt;healeys@autox.team.net&gt;</a> </div>
          Am about fit to be tied ! <br>
          Have been struggling with a new intermittant noise for about a
          month now. <br>
          Seems to eminate in the dash area above left side of glove
          box, <br>
          A creak rather than a clunk. <br>
          So what have I done. <br>
          Tightened everything in that area - starter mounts, clecked
          bell housing, checked brake booster mounts, jammed the air
          vents solid, removed center console and still no
          improvement.Tightened windshield side mounts doors checked. <br>
          Was convinced was something to do with the heater controls -
          spent most of one weekend removing and replacing it more
          securely (what a pia job !). <br>
          The noise is not tied to road or engine speed, but worse when
          going over uneven surface, even very slowly. Also thought was
          worse after car was warm so switched heater valve off. <br>
          Thought had breakthrough as got a lot better with top up that
          pointed to windshield mounts. But no after a few days back as
          before. Actually sounds like expansion type noise. <br>
          It even occasionally does one or 2 creaks when car stops. <br>
          In last 2 years had windshield replaced so wonder if could be
          a problem there ? <br>
          Cannot recreate the noise with all manner of pushing and
          pulling of dash or glovebox or airvents and windshield in that
          area. <br>
          Tried jacking the rear end up in case was chassis but no
          change, <br>
          What is maddening is that there are times when for aboiut 20
          mins of driving it is gone.... <br>
          Ideas please ! <br>
          rg.</div>
      -- <br>