Re: [Healeys] Dash Area Noise

To: "Roger Grace" <roggrace@telus.net>, "Healey List" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Dash Area Noise
From: "Earl Kagna" <kags@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2019 23:22:54 -0700

--===============6129729913883094244==
        boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0026_01D53CF6.8FD74990"

------=_NextPart_000_0026_01D53CF6.8FD74990
        charset="utf-8"

Roger:

This reminds me of a similar situation that I had many years ago on my =
BJ8 =E2=80=93 a =E2=80=98thunk=E2=80=99 sound from the left side of the =
dash area (or so I thought) on certain bumps but not others. Drove me =
nuts trying to find it - literally for years.  Finally found it when the =
car was torn down in conjunction with the total restoration.

There are 2 plates =E2=80=93 one on each side of the car =E2=80=93 =
called wing support brackets in the body manual (plate BC 2) - that tie =
the assembled wing / shroud flange to the top of the inner wheel arch.  =
The manual is not very clear on this thing.

When dismantling this part of the body, we found the pair of bolt / nut =
assemblies totally missing and clear evidence that this was the source =
of the =E2=80=98thunk=E2=80=99.  But it sure sounded like it was coming =
from the dash or bonnet.

Your problem just might be that these bolts are there but loose, which =
could conceivably cause a creak type of sound that seems to be from the =
dash area.  Try pressing down on the right side fender / shroud close to =
the centre of the wheel cut out and maybe fore and aft a bit to see if =
you can produce a similar sound.  The bad news is that these things are =
a real pain to get to on an assembled car =E2=80=93 they are almost =
impossible to see, let alone service as they are up high and behind the =
air hoses on both sides, and can=E2=80=99t be accessed from the wheel =
arch because of the inner fender position.

If all else fails, it=E2=80=99s worth a try.  Let us know.

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BJ8, BT7 tri-carb