Re: [Healeys] What's "this" behind the dash?

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] What's "this" behind the dash?
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2019 18:44:08 -0700

--------------5C6C02376DD4063E57E69B27

Lemme guess ... you only read the digest?

 From Earl Kagna:

"This reminds me of a similar situation that I had many years ago on my
BJ8 â?? a â??thunkâ?? sound from the left side of the dash area (or so I
thought) on certain bumps but not others. Drove me nuts trying to find
it - literally for years.  Finally found it when the car was torn down
in conjunction with the total restoration.

  There are 2 plates â?? one on each side of the car â?? called wing support
brackets in the body manual (plate BC 2) - that tie the assembled wing /
shroud flange to the top of the inner wheel arch.  The manual is not
very clear on this thing.
When dismantling this part of the body, we found the pair of bolt / nut
assemblies totally missing and clear evidence that this was the source
of the â??thunkâ??.  But it sure sounded like it was coming from the dash or
bonnet.
Your problem just might be that these bolts are there but loose, which
could conceivably cause a creak type of sound that seems to be from the
dash area.  Try pressing down on the right side fender / shroud close to
the centre of the wheel cut out and maybe fore and aft a bit to see if
you can produce a similar sound.  The bad news is that these things are
a real pain to get to on an assembled car â?? they are almost impossible
to see, let alone service as they are up high and behind the air hoses
on both sides, and canâ??t be accessed from the wheel arch because of the
inner fender position."

 From me:

"Earl,

Is this Moss# 858-385 (#44 on page 118 of the latest catalog0? You're
describing the problem I have.

Bob"

All Big Healeys, AFAIK, have these parts.  Fortunately, I bolted them up
when we reassembled our BN2

On 7/19/2019 12:21 PM, editorgary--- via Healeys wrote:
> Would someone mind being a little more specific than "to be exactly
> this"? I can't find in the thread the reference to "This."
>
> Given that I have a 1960 BN7 with the roadster dash, could I also have
> "this" problem?
>
> I'm going to be reinstalling a cold-air duct into the passenger foot
> well for the trip to South Dakota, so I've got do do some upside down
> work in that area, might as well figure out what can be "left
> unbolted" to make sure my "this" is bolted up tight.
>
> Thanks
> gary
>
>     I had a nasty vibration, which proved to be exactly this. It did
>     sound like
>     it came from somewhere in the passenger side of the dash. Took me
>     years to
>     find. Couldn't see/fix it without removing the heater forward air
>     duct.

--------------5C6C02376DD4063E57E69B27

  <head>
  </head>
      on my BJ8 â?? a â??thunkâ?? sound from the left side of the dash area
      (or so I thought) on certain bumps but not others. Drove me nuts
      trying to find it - literally for years.  Finally found it when
      the car was torn down in conjunction with the total restoration.</p>
      support brackets in the body manual (plate BC 2) - that tie the
      assembled wing / shroud flange to the top of the inner wheel
      arch.  The manual is not very clear on this thing.</div>
      bolt / nut assemblies totally missing and clear evidence that this
      was the source of the â??thunkâ??.  But it sure sounded like it was
      coming from the dash or bonnet.</div>
      loose, which could conceivably cause a creak type of sound that
      seems to be from the dash area.  Try pressing down on the right
      side fender / shroud close to the centre of the wheel cut out and
      maybe fore and aft a bit to see if you can produce a similar
      sound.  The bad news is that these things are a real pain to get
      to on an assembled car â?? they are almost impossible to see, let
      alone service as they are up high and behind the air hoses on both
      sides, and canâ??t be accessed from the wheel arch because of the
      inner fender position."</div>
        You're describing the problem I have.</p>
      Bob"</div>
      bolted them up when we reassembled our BN2<br>
      via Healeys wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:855318530.2343466.1563564101124@mail.yahoo.com">
            specific than "to be exactly this"? I can't find in the
            thread the reference to "This." <br>
            roadster dash, could I also have "this" problem?<br>
            into the passenger foot well for the trip to South Dakota,
            so I've got do do some upside down work in that area, might
            as well figure out what can be "left unbolted" to make sure
            my "this" is bolted up tight. <br>
            gary</font><br>
          style="font-family:helvetica,arial;font-size:10pt;color:black">
            3px;">
              exactly this. It did sound like<br>
              of the dash. Took me years to<br>
              the heater forward air duct.</div>
          style="font-family:helvetica,arial;font-size:10pt;color:black"><br>

--------------5C6C02376DD4063E57E69B27--

--===============1684770350588198296==