Re: [Healeys] Brake Light Switch

To: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Brake Light Switch
From: Michael Oritt <michael.oritt@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2019 00:12:11 -0400
Cc: Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>

--00000000000048e38c058eca1910

Bob--

That is how the switches eventually fail--they work when one stands on the
brakes but the contacts do not close under normaL, moderate pressure.

Best--Michael IOritt

On Sun, Jul 28, 2019 at 11:02 PM Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net> wrote:

> Roger Moment did an article a couple months ago in Austin-Healey
> Magazine about using a mechanical/electrical switch.  I bought the
> switch but haven't installed it; was really hoping the RFR switch would
> do the trick.  My current switch (heh) was working, I just had to hit
> the pedal harder than I though I should have to to activate the lights.
> I've had other motorists tell me my brake lights weren't working--I put
> LEDs in a couple years ago, and I know they're visible--but I think it's
> partly because I coast and/or engine brake instead of jackrabbiting into
> stop signs/lights and slamming on the brakes like so many drivers do.
>
> Guess I'll put a new, stock switch in and see if that helps.
>
> Bob
>
> On 7/28/2019 11:13 AM, Roger Grace wrote:
> > Yes these hydraulic switches are notoriously problematic.
> > I am of the opinion that the contacts get pitted and so this gives the
> erratic or non closing of the circuit. Have replaced at least 10 over the
> years on other Brit cars.
> > The solution is to fit a relay for this issue.
> > However this does not help with setting sensitivity.
> > I have fitted a mechanicat switch on the brake pedal shaft and the
> operating point is easily set - as sensitive as you want. This switch is
> wired in parallel with the hyd. one and drives a relay. So the hyd switch
> is just a back up.
> > Works just fine.
> > rg

lass=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"color:#3333ff">That is how the switches eve=
ntually fail--they work when one stands on the brakes but the contacts do n=
ot close under normaL, moderate pressure.=C2=A0=C2=A0</div><div class=3D"gm=
ail_default" style=3D"color:#3333ff"><br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default"=
gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Sun, Jul 28, 2019 at =
11:02 PM Bob Spidell &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:bspidell@comcast.net";>bspidell@c=
=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding=
-left:1ex">Roger Moment did an article a couple months ago in Austin-Healey=
Magazine about using a mechanical/electrical switch.=C2=A0 I bought the <br=

switch but haven&#39;t installed it; was really hoping the RFR switch would=
do the trick.=C2=A0 My current switch (heh) was working, I just had to hit =
the pedal harder than I though I should have to to activate the lights.=C2=
=A0 <br>
I&#39;ve had other motorists tell me my brake lights weren&#39;t working--I=
 put <br>
LEDs in a couple years ago, and I know they&#39;re visible--but I think it&=
#39;s <br>
partly because I coast and/or engine brake instead of jackrabbiting into <b=
r>
stop signs/lights and slamming on the brakes like so many drivers do.<br>
Guess I&#39;ll put a new, stock switch in and see if that helps.<br>
Bob<br>
On 7/28/2019 11:13 AM, Roger Grace wrote:<br>
&gt; Yes these hydraulic switches are notoriously problematic.<br>
&gt; I am of the opinion that the contacts get pitted and so this gives the=
 erratic or non closing of the circuit. Have replaced at least 10 over the =
years on other Brit cars.<br>
&gt; The solution is to fit a relay for this issue.<br>
&gt; However this does not help with setting sensitivity.<br>
&gt; I have fitted a mechanicat switch on the brake pedal shaft and the ope=
rating point is easily set - as sensitive as you want. This switch is wired=
 in parallel with the hyd. one and drives a relay. So the hyd switch is jus=
t a back up.<br>
&gt; Works just fine.<br>
&gt; rg<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; ----- Original Message -----<br>
&gt; From: Bob Spidell &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:bspidell@comcast.net"; target=
=3D"_blank">bspidell@comcast.net</a>&gt;<br>
&gt; To: Healeys &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:healeys@autox.team.net"; target=3D"_b=
lank">healeys@autox.team.net</a>&gt;<br>
&gt; Sent: Sat, 27 Jul 2019 18:42:49 -0600 (MDT)<br>
&gt; Subject: [Healeys] Brake Light Switch<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; A while ago, I bought a &#39;sensitive&#39; brake light switch from Ro=
n Francis<br>
&gt; Racing (IIRC, based on a recommendation from someone here).=C2=A0 Toda=
y I<br>
&gt; tried to install it and it has the wrong threads, which I only realize=
d<br>
&gt; after fabbing a couple leads for it.=C2=A0 So my question is, does any=
body<br>
&gt; make a higher-quality--i.e. more sensitive--switch that will actually<=
br>
&gt; fit a Healey&#39;s brake lines? I&#39;ve got a mechanical switch, but =
would<br>
&gt; prefer to stay with the hydraulic if I can find one that doesn&#39;t t=
ake a<br>
&gt; quarter-pedal of motion to activate.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Also, the threads on my (now broken) current switch appear to be<br>
&gt; machine, whereas the RFR switch was 1/8&quot; pipe; anyone know what t=
he<br>
&gt; correct size of the current switch is (I had to put it back in to stop=
&gt; the leak).<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; TIA,<br>
&gt;<br>