Re: [Healeys] Rear wheel cylinders on a BJ8

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Rear wheel cylinders on a BJ8
From: Kees Oudesluijs <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2019 08:24:09 +0200

--------------6E930152A3C7687DDE9E5409

Same with the car. You loose traction, both sideways and length wise. On
a bike you can correct by counter steering with is very direct and by
leaning over, in a car you cannot as the wheels react rather indirect on
the steering wheel and if you deviate only slightly from the straight
ahead direction the rear will pass the front. As the brake forces on the
front wheels (as on the rear wheels) will never be 100% equal because of
slight differences in the brakes L/R and on the road surface you will
not be able to hold the straight ahead direction and thus............ A
very good driver may be able to counteract this but the average driver
will not, certainly not on a wet road.

Kees Oudesluijs

Op 28-8-2019 om 02:53 schreef Bob Spidell:
> OT, a little, but I've never understood the physics of this.  When I
> ride my bike, I can lock up the rear wheel and all it does is skid.
>
> Bob
>

> On 8/27/2019 9:29 AM, Michael Salter wrote:
>> Have to agree with Kees on this one.
>> We have a brake bias control on AHX12 and I can certainly attest to
>> the fact that when the conditions change to "wet" removing a lot of
>> rear braking is absolutely essential to prevent the car from swapping
>> ends.
>> As most road cars don't have adjustable brake bias I would be very
>> careful in trying to increase the rear braking.
>> When braking into a corner the last thing you want is the rear end
>> coming around, particularly in the wet.

>> On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 12:09 PM Kees Oudesluijs
>>
>>     Whatch out driving in the rain as the rear brakes will lock the rear
>>     wheels much quicker than with the smaller pistons.Rear brakes are
>>     only
>>     providing a small portion of the total brake force.
>>
>>     Kees Oudesluijs
>>
>>     Op 27-8-2019 om 18:04 schreef Chris Dimmock:
>>     > Hi Men
>>     > Has anyone else ever changed their rear wheel cylinders from
>>     3/4 inch to 7/8 inch?
>>     > I just did. Sick of the rear brakes doing nothing. Freeloaders!!
>>     > Yes, no problem with seized wheel cylinders, no problem with
>>     the flexible hose - just bugger all wear on the rear linings.
>>     > I'll let you know how it goes on my BJ8
>>     > Best
>>     > Chris

> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/coudesluijs@chello.nl

--------------6E930152A3C7687DDE9E5409

  <head>
  </head>
      wise. On a bike you can correct by counter steering with is very
      direct and by leaning over, in a car you cannot as the wheels
      react rather indirect on the steering wheel and if you deviate
      only slightly from the straight ahead direction the rear will pass
      the front. As the brake forces on the front wheels (as on the rear
      wheels) will never be 100% equal because of slight differences in
      the brakes L/R and on the road surface you will not be able to
      hold the straight ahead direction and thus............ A very good
      driver may be able to counteract this but the average driver will
      not, certainly not on a wet road.</p>
      Spidell:<br>
      cite="mid:fdc7e5f8-d4ae-ab9b-1e37-963af55438e9@comcast.net">
      OT, a little, but I've never understood the physics of this.  When
      I ride my bike, I can lock up the rear wheel and all it does is
      skid.<br>
      Bob<br>
        wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CAB3i7L+sPTscE+CA4S6GZ6U+wYysrnUXY_nYFt5Rg-M5TxNXMQ@mail.gmail.com">
          charset=UTF-8">
            ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">Have to agree with Kees on
            this one. <br>
            ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">We have a brake bias control
            on AHX12 and I can certainly attest to the fact that when
            the conditions change to "wet" removing a lot of rear
            braking is absolutely essential to prevent the car from
            swapping ends. <br>
            ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">As most road cars don't have
            adjustable brake bias I would be very careful in trying to
            increase the rear braking.</div>
            ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">When braking into a corner
            the last thing you want is the rear end coming around,
            particularly in the wet.</div>
            ms,sans-serif;font-size:small"><br>
            ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">M<br>
            12:09 PM Kees Oudesluijs &lt;<a
              href="mailto:coudesluijs@chello.nl";
moz-do-not-send="true">coudesluijs@chello.nl</a>&gt;
            wrote:<br>
            0.8ex;border-left:1px solid
            rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">Whatch out driving in the
            rain as the rear brakes will lock the rear <br>
            wheels much quicker than with the smaller pistons.Rear
            brakes are only <br>
            providing a small portion of the total brake force.<br>
            Kees Oudesluijs<br>
            Op 27-8-2019 om 18:04 schreef Chris Dimmock:<br>
            &gt; Hi Men<br>
            &gt; Has anyone else ever changed their rear wheel cylinders
            from 3/4 inch to 7/8 inch?<br>
            &gt; I just did. Sick of the rear brakes doing nothing.
            Freeloaders!!<br>
            &gt; Yes, no problem with seized wheel cylinders, no problem
            with the flexible hose - just bugger all wear on the rear
            linings.<br>
            &gt; I'll let you know how it goes on my BJ8<br>
            &gt; Best<br>
            &gt; Chris<br>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre"
wrap="">_______________________________________________