Re: [Healeys] high oil consumption

To: warthodson@aol.com, healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] high oil consumption
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2019 08:01:46 -0700

--------------71EA834A5C0829855F2378E1

I believe syn oil is a bit 'thinner'--even for the same nominal
viscosity; I'm going on hearsay--so a little more consumption may be
expected.  My new Mustang GT uses about a quart of 5W-20 semi-syn every
5K miles or so, which is about the same as my 2008 Mustang GT used
(consistently over 135K miles).  An engine has to use some oil, a very
thin 'smear' should be left on the grooves in the cylinder walls to lube
the rings and it gets burned on every combustion cycle.

What kind of valve guides and seals does he have?  I believe bronze
('bronzium,' silicon bronze, etc.) guides require a little more
clearance from the valve stems for heat expansion (I've heard 0.003"),
this might allow a bit more oil into the combustion chambers.  Most
builders laugh at the stock O-ring type seals; mine used a customized
'top hat' seal that they use on the race engines they build.

Bob

On 9/17/2019 7:48 AM, warthodson@aol.com wrote:
> Bob,
> The owner is aware of the issues with oil & I think he is using 20w/50
> Castrol synthetic oil. I will confirm at the meeting. On the trip to
> Conclave no one noticed any thing unusual about his exhaust. Some did
> say they say a "little black smoke, occasionally". I will be
> interested in seeing the plugs. If not rings, how else could oil be
> getting into the combustion chamber?
> Perhaps the valve stems could be leaking. How could we test for this?
> How about valve stem seals leaking?
> Gary H

  <head>
  </head>
    I believe syn oil is a bit 'thinner'--even for the same nominal
    viscosity; I'm going on hearsay--so a little more consumption may be
    expected.  My new Mustang GT uses about a quart of 5W-20 semi-syn
    every 5K miles or so, which is about the same as my 2008 Mustang GT
    used (consistently over 135K miles).  An engine has to use some oil,
    a very thin 'smear' should be left on the grooves in the cylinder
    walls to lube the rings and it gets burned on every combustion
    cycle.<br>
    What kind of valve guides and seals does he have?  I believe bronze
    ('bronzium,' silicon bronze, etc.) guides require a little more
    clearance from the valve stems for heat expansion (I've heard
    0.003"), this might allow a bit more oil into the combustion
    chambers.  Most builders laugh at the stock O-ring type seals; mine
    used a customized 'top hat' seal that they use on the race engines
    they build.<br>
    Bob<br>
      <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:warthodson@aol.com";>warthodson@aol.com</a> wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:1267253349.8561914.1568731699962@mail.yahoo.com">
          is using 20w/50 Castrol synthetic oil. I will confirm at the
          meeting. On the trip to Conclave no one noticed any thing
          unusual about his exhaust. Some did say they say a "little
          black smoke, occasionally". I will be interested in seeing the
          plugs. If not rings, how else could oil be getting into the
          combustion chamber? </div>
          for this? How about valve stem seals leaking?</div>

style="font-family:arial,helvetica;font-size:10pt;color:black">-----Original
          Message-----<br>
              If it really isn't leaking it can only be burning it; I'd
              expect quite a bit of blue smoke out the tailpipe.  My
              BJ8's engine was rebuilt a couple years ago and uses some,
              less than this one, but isn't leaking it--I was under it
              yesterday--and I only get a little blue smoke after a long
              downhill run in gear.<br clear="none">
              Bob<br clear="none">
                id="yiv2063336109yqt19901">
                  7:16 AM, warthodson--- via Healeys wrote:<br
                    clear="none">
              id="yiv2063336109yqt46831">
                    oil consumption this weekend. He says it is not
                    leaking out. We will verify that when we inspect
                    it. </div>
                    Conclave recently (2100 miles total). The engine was
                    professionally rebuilt in 2011. The engine builder
                    has recently retired &amp; moved to a Caribbean
                    island so we cannot contact him, true story.</div>
                    trip. About 2-3 years ago I checked the compression,
                    performed a leak down test &amp; inspected the spark
                    plugs. Every thing was in the normal range.</div>
                    usual tests this weekend, what are some of the
                    unusual ways you have come across that could cause
                    high oil consumption &amp; how would we test for
                    them? </div>
id="yqt58214">_______________________________________________<br
              clear="none">
            Support Team.Net <a href="http://www.team.net/donate.html";
              target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" shape="rect"
              moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br
              clear="none">
            Suggested annual donation  $12.75<br clear="none">
            Archive: <a href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys";
              target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" shape="rect"
              moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys
            </a><a href="http://autox.team.net/archive"; target="_blank"
              rel="noopener noreferrer" shape="rect"
              moz-do-not-send="true">http://autox.team.net/archive</a><br
              clear="none">
              noreferrer" shape="rect"
              ymailto="mailto:Healeys@autox.team.net";
              moz-do-not-send="true">Healeys@autox.team.net</a><br
              clear="none">
              target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" shape="rect"

              clear="none">
            Unsubscribe/Manage: <a

href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/warthodson@aol.com";
              target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" shape="rect"

moz-do-not-send="true">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/warthodson@aol.com</a><br
              clear="none">

--------------71EA834A5C0829855F2378E1--

--===============3453884877173618887==