[Healeys] Cold weather work

To: healeys <Healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] Cold weather work
From: Fred Wescoe <fredwescoe@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2019 16:34:46 -0500

--000000000000ffff4b0597b9d591

Listers,

I am starting to do some of the cold weather work on my BJ8 and I have 2
questions.

1.  My choke cable is extremely difficult to pull out, it takes both hands
on the knob to move the knob out far enough to activate the chokes.  What
is the best/easy way to access the old cable for removal?  I have a new
choke cable to install but how do I route the new cable around behind the
dash so there are no kinks (I suspect that is my current problem) and to
avoid the heater/defroster hoses and anything else which may be in the
way.  I would like to get the new cable in so that it works smoothly and
with just one hand.  Should I use grease or graphite on the cable to help?
Ideas?  "I did it this way and it worked great."  Tips and tricks?

2.   A couple of months ago, I had an issue with my downpipes that came
loose from the exhaust manifold.  On the down pipes, I removed the brass
nuts and split washers and replaced them with new stuff.  Upon close
inspection, I now find that the intake and exhaust manifolds have also
worked loose from the head.  However, on the manifolds, there is a flat
washer against the manifolds, then a split washer and then the brass nut.
Which is the correct method of assembly; flat washer then split washer and
brass nut, no split washer or no flat washer.  Should the downpipes be
bolted together the same as the exhaust/intake manifolds to the head? What
is causing these exhaust parts to come loose and what do I do to prevent
this from happening?  What is the thinking of those who have rebuilt
engines and what has worked?

Thanks for the collective wisdom here.

Fred
66BJ8

--000000000000ffff4b0597b9d591

div>1.=C2=A0 My choke cable is extremely difficult to pull out, it takes bo=
th hands on the knob to move the knob out far enough to activate the chokes=
.=C2=A0 What is the best/easy way to access the old cable for removal?=C2=
=A0 I have a new choke cable to install but how do I route the new cable ar=
ound behind the dash so there are no kinks (I suspect that is my current pr=
oblem) and to avoid the heater/defroster hoses and anything else which may =
be in the way.=C2=A0 I would like to get the new cable in so that it works =
smoothly and with just one hand.=C2=A0 Should I use grease or graphite on t=
he cable to help?=C2=A0 Ideas?=C2=A0 &quot;I did it this way and it worked =
=A0A couple of months ago, I had an issue with=C2=A0my=20

downpipes

 that came loose from the=20

exhaust manifold.=C2=A0 On the down pipes, I removed the brass nuts and spl=
it washers and replaced them with new stuff.=C2=A0 Upon close inspection, I=
 now find that the intake and exhaust manifolds have also worked loose from=
 the head.=C2=A0 However, on the manifolds, there is a flat washer against =
the manifolds, then a split washer and then the brass nut.=C2=A0 Which is t=
he correct method of assembly; flat washer then split washer and brass nut,=
 no split washer or no flat washer.=C2=A0 Should the downpipes be bolted to=
gether the same as the exhaust/intake manifolds to the head? What is causin=
g these exhaust parts to come loose and what do I do to prevent this from h=
appening?=C2=A0 What is the thinking of those who have rebuilt engines and =

--000000000000ffff4b0597b9d591--

--===============2391867552584386025==