[Healeys] Choke issues continue

To: healeys <Healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] Choke issues continue
From: Fred Wescoe <fredwescoe@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2020 19:31:16 -0500

--00000000000089f0e7059e7e5326

Listers,

Last week when I pulled on the choke knob of my BJ8, the whole thing came
out of the dash.  The choke cable itself as well as the sheath came away
from the block on the engine side of the firewall and out of the dash.  So,
I decided that replacing all three choke cables may solve my current
problem of an extremely hard to pull choke knob.

The issue I discovered is that the choke cables from the firewall block to
the carbs are not anchored at either end.  When I removed the block from
the firewall, I found that both ends of the two choke cables to the carbs
themselves are loose in the sockets of the actual carb choke fitting as
well as on the firewall bracket.  It seems to me that for the chokes to
work properly, both ends of the two choke cables should be crimped into the
carb itself as well as to the block on the firewall.  This would allow the
cables to lift the chokes off their stops as well as allow them to return
to their off positions smoothly.  This amy also resolve the difficult to
pull choke knob.  The cable sheathing is much smaller than the socket it
fits into at both ends and so there is plenty of slop at the ends right now.

The choke knob is securely anchored to knob on the dash and that tells me
the other end, at the firewall block, should also be secured to the block.

Am I correct in my belief that all the cable ends need to be crimped
securly for the chokes to work properly and freely?

As I resolve all my choke issues, I will relate what I did from the dash to
the carbs.

Thanks,

Fred
66BJ8

--00000000000089f0e7059e7e5326

 knob of my BJ8, the whole thing came out of the dash.=C2=A0 The choke cabl=
e itself as well as the sheath came away from the block on the engine side =
of the firewall and out of the dash.=C2=A0 So, I decided that replacing all=
 three choke cables may solve my current problem of an extremely hard to pu=
t the choke cables from the firewall block to the carbs are not anchored at=
 either end.=C2=A0 When I removed the block from the firewall, I found that=
 both ends of the two choke cables to the carbs themselves are loose in the=
 sockets of the actual carb choke=C2=A0fitting as well as on the firewall=
=C2=A0bracket.=C2=A0 It seems to me that for the chokes to work properly, b=
oth ends of the two choke cables should be crimped into the carb itself as =
well as to the block on the firewall.=C2=A0 This would allow the cables to =
lift the chokes off their stops as well as allow them to return to their of=
f positions smoothly.=C2=A0 This amy also resolve the difficult to pull cho=
ke knob.=C2=A0 The cable sheathing is much smaller than the socket it fits =
into at both ends and so there is plenty of slop at the ends right now.</di=

--===============3458040636524365125==