Re: [Healeys] Choke issues continue

To: "Fred Wescoe" <fredwescoe@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Choke issues continue
From: "Earl Kagna" <kags@shaw.ca>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2020 10:19:58 -0800
Cc: Healey List <healeys@autox.team.net>

--===============3746529436388263822==
        boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0079_01D5E3E9.7996F8C0"

------=_NextPart_000_0079_01D5E3E9.7996F8C0
        charset="UTF-8"

Hi Fred =E2=80=93 I=E2=80=99ll give this a try.

The Healey BJ8 choke system is a pain at the best of times =E2=80=93 not =
very well designed.  Works well enough when carefully set up though.

The secondary cables shouldn=E2=80=99t be crimped in any way =E2=80=93 =
the outer sheaths are held in their respective sockets by tension when =
properly set up.  Crimping might create more =E2=80=98drag=E2=80=99 in =
the system, which is exactly what you don=E2=80=99t want. This is =
accomplished by lifting the carb choke lever a bit when tightening the =
cables at the carb end.  This also enables the levers to move a bit =
further in order to achieve full choke when needed.  There is a sweet =
spot =E2=80=93 too much is not good either =E2=80=93 the choke linkage =
will not return to the full off position.  It makes a big difference =
here if the carb choke levers are perfectly synchronized =E2=80=93 the =
engine runs much better when the choke system is in use.

I have found the use of additional helper return springs useful here =
=E2=80=93 we know that the factory / dealers used them on problem cars =
back in the day.  I have tried ballpoint pen springs on the cables (carb =
end), as well as a couple of other types of spring.  Wound up using a =
pair of old original  throttle return springs hooked around the choke =
lever cable pins and the brake pipes below =E2=80=93 has worked well for =
me for 30 plus years.  The important thing here is to get just enough =
spring force to pull the levers to their full return position., but not =
enough force to have a very stiff, hard to pull choke knob, which will =
eventually screw up the system.

The primary cable uses the same principle =E2=80=93 when properly set =
up, the tension in the system will keep the outer sheath in it=E2=80=99s =
socket on the inside-the-car face of the firewall bracket. This is set =
at the cable clamp screw in the splitter bar =E2=80=93 no (or very =
slight) slack in the cable with the choke knob fully in at the dash.

I use a bit of white lithium grease to lube the cables.  Try not to =
think of the proper maintenance procedure every once in a while =
=E2=80=93 take the whole damn thing apart and clean and lube the cables. =
 I found a little cable lubing end for an aerosol can that works =
reasonably well. I just ignore the cleaning part!

I try and set the system up so that roughly the first 1/2 inch of knob =
movement activates only the fast idle function =E2=80=93 no enrichment =
=E2=80=93 really handy when you=E2=80=99re stuck in traffic on a =
blistering hot day, and the engine wants to die.  Really helps to be =
able to speed the idle up a bit until you are moving again.  Also very =
useful when at very high altitude on a trip (I=E2=80=99m at sea level).  =
Just deal in a bit of fast idle with the choke knob, instead of jumping =
out with a screw driver and messing up those perfect mixture settings, =
which took weeks to achieve!=20

Another little trick I=E2=80=99ve used:  If you have the primary cable =
out of the car, find a =E2=80=98tall=E2=80=99 hut ( I think that they =
are about 5/8 inch or so) to replace the thin one that is so hard to get =
to at the back of the dash.  Makes tightening the primary cable / knob =
assembly much easier. (sorry, can=E2=80=99t remember the thread size =
offhand).

Hope this helps.  I=E2=80=99m a bit hobbled for a couple of days, but =
could try and get you a couple of photos if you think it would help.

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BJ8, BT7 tri-carb