Re: [Healeys] A-arm frame mounts specs

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] A-arm frame mounts specs
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2020 19:08:06 -0800

--------------5378B36E57F7ADB7C6B620A7

I think if one's going so far as to weld in new A-arm mounts it might be
a good time to install some means for camber/caster adjustment, either
with something like the Kilmartin shock mounts or Tom's inserts
(relatively easy since you'll have the front end disassembled, or nearly
so, anyway).

On 2/18/2020 4:50 PM, jim via Healeys wrote:
> if you are having to futz with the a arm frame attachment points (I
> did) be very aware of kingpin inclination angle ..determines
> castor/camber of wheel ..depending on frame/tweekage and replacement
> part tolerances, the backside of the mount is nowhere near any
> reference alignment point...if you gotta have it vertical for "pretty"
> grind the flange (where it welds to the frame)...AFTER verifying
> kingpin / axle / wheel caster-camber
>
> Jim
> "
> On Tuesday, February 18, 2020, 2:32:56 AM UTC, S and T Miller
> <stmiller96@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

> Anyone know the factory a-arm frame mount specs in degrees? One would
> assume 90 degrees when using a digital angle finder on the back side, but?
>
> The Millers
>
> "Always drive them, but remember each drive in an antique car is a
> test drive."

--------------5378B36E57F7ADB7C6B620A7

  <head>
  </head>
    I think if one's going so far as to weld in new A-arm mounts it
    might be a good time to install some means for camber/caster
    adjustment, either with something like the Kilmartin shock mounts or
    Tom's inserts (relatively easy since you'll have the front end
    disassembled, or nearly so, anyway).<br>
      wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:1162013934.3542026.1582073412892@mail.yahoo.com">
        style="font-family:Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial,
        sans-serif;font-size:13px;">
          with the a arm frame attachment points (I did) be very aware
          of kingpin inclination angle ..determines castor/camber of
          wheel ..depending on frame/tweekage and replacement part
          tolerances, the backside of the mount is nowhere near any
          reference alignment point...if you gotta have it vertical for
          "pretty" grind the flange (where it welds to the
          frame)...AFTER verifying kingpin / axle / wheel caster-camber</div>
        class="ydpf04b512cyahoo_quoted">
          sans-serif;font-size:13px;color:#26282a;">
            Miller <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
href="mailto:stmiller96@hotmail.com";>&lt;stmiller96@hotmail.com&gt;</a> wrote:
                Anyone know the factory a-arm frame mount specs in
                degrees? One would assume 90 degrees when using a
                digital angle finder on the back side, but?<br>
                The Millers<br>
                "Always drive them, but remember each drive in an
                antique car is a test drive."<br>

--------------5378B36E57F7ADB7C6B620A7--

--===============5446188185695414026==