Re: [Healeys] Broken Screw

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Broken Screw
From: Kees Oudesluijs <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2020 19:11:26 +0200

--------------F1F8C076F8DA83C0B226E973

You could use left hand drill bits (not meaning the LH threaded bolt
removers) and you may be lucky that the remainder will come out. However
start as Rick Neville said by filing flat the remainder first if at all
possible and use a centre punch dead in the middle.

Kees Oudesluijs

Op 26-5-2020 om 18:51 schreef HealeyRick:
> Hi Mike,
>
> My 2 cents.  File the end of the bolt flat if possible, then center
> punch to give the drill a place to start.  Begin with a very small bit
> in the center and keep going up until you get near the original
> threads and use a dental pick to clean out the threads.  Use a thread
> chaser if needed.
>
> Good luck!
> Rick Neville
>
> On Mon, May 25, 2020 at 3:05 PM Michael MacLean
>
>     Went to install the rebuilt horns on my BN2 last night and could
>     only screw one on the cross member of the frame.  The other
>     mounting hole were a problem.  Somewhere, sometime in the past
>     whoever removed the horns snapped one of the screws off flush with
>     the frame.  Best way to get this out?  Must have been corroded in
>     place to snap off like that.
>     Mike MacLean
>
>     Unsubscribe/Manage:
>     http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/healeyrik@gmail.com

> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/coudesluijs@chello.nl

--------------F1F8C076F8DA83C0B226E973

  <head>
  </head>
      bolt removers) and you may be lucky that the remainder will come
      out. However start as Rick Neville said by filing flat the
      remainder first if at all possible and use a centre punch dead in
      the middle.</p>
      HealeyRick:<br>
cite="mid:CAGfzsZfU2bP-RUdL_QtF1egLzCNL2mOdrE-ChgurteBgTWafAQ@mail.gmail.com">
          then center punch to give the drill a place to start.  Begin
          with a very small bit in the center and keep going up until
          you get near the original threads and use a dental pick to
          clean out the threads.  Use a thread chaser if needed.  </div>
          PM Michael MacLean &lt;<a
            href="mailto:rrengineer.mike@att.net";
moz-do-not-send="true">rrengineer.mike@att.net</a>&gt;
          wrote:<br>
          0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
              roman&quot;,&quot;new
              york&quot;,times,serif;font-size:16px">
                id="gmail-m_-8680664567323447170ydp2beb8ffbyiv4852190350">
                    roman&quot;,&quot;new
                    york&quot;,times,serif;font-size:16px">
                      my BN2 last night and could only screw one on the
                      cross member of the frame.  The other mounting
                      hole were a problem.  Somewhere, sometime in the
                      past whoever removed the horns snapped one of the
                      screws off flush with the frame.  Best way to get
                      this out?  Must have been corroded in place to
                      snap off like that.  <br>
          Support Team.Net <a href="http://www.team.net/donate.html";
            rel="noreferrer" target="_blank"
moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>