Re: [Healeys] Fuel pump points

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Fuel pump points
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 31 May 2020 09:48:56 -0700

--------------EAE8B20ED926D69E7692F6B7

re: "QUESTION:- OK, assuming you?re still reading, could the problems
within the switch translate to sparking and issues within the pumps?
points? And thus cause them to wear out so quickly?"

Given that the pumps are designed to operate intermittently, I'd say
no.  Getting decent points seems to be a crapshoot these days; did your
points wear, or become pitted? I suspect, but can't prove, that
contemporary points use less tungsten--an expensive metal that, I think,
is a bit difficult to work--than older ones; perhaps just a 'veneer' on
a cheaper metal.

Bob

On 5/31/2020 6:12 AM, simon.lachlan@alexarevel.plus.com wrote:

> About a week ago I posted a query which was to the effect, ?How long
> might one expect a set of (proper Burlen) points for an SU pump to last??
>
> ?How long is a piece of string??, I hear you say.
>
> So, the reason for the original query was this:-  Not withstanding
> that they were not Taiwanese and that I reckon they were correctly
> installed, I think that they wore out rather quickly despite both sets
> being protected by Burlen supplied diodes.
>
> Replacing the points seemed, at first glance, to be harder than I
> remembered from previous times??I could get both sets running on the
> bench. With four plus one extra holes after ?throw-over(?)?. But, once
> in the car, one pump would only work for a while?.totally haphazard.
>
> Eventually I turned to the wiring and terminals at the ?on, off, on?
> switch.:-
>
> On?.left hand half
>
> Off?.neither half
>
> On?.right hand half
>
> The RHS terminals were intermittent. Ie losing continuity hence
> cutting off power to the RHS.
>
> QUESTION:- OK, assuming you?re still reading, could the problems
> within the switch translate to sparking and issues within the pumps?
> points? And thus cause them to wear out so quickly?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Simon

--------------EAE8B20ED926D69E7692F6B7

  <head>
      charset=windows-1252">
  </head>
    re: "QUESTION:- OK, assuming you?re still reading, could the
    problems within the switch translate to sparking and issues within
    the pumps? points? And thus cause them to wear out so quickly?"<br>
    Given that the pumps are designed to operate intermittently, I'd say
    no.  Getting decent points seems to be a crapshoot these days; did
    your points wear, or become pitted? I suspect, but can't prove, that
    contemporary points use less tungsten--an expensive metal that, I
    think, is a bit difficult to work--than older ones; perhaps just a
    'veneer' on a cheaper metal.<br>
    Bob<br>
      <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:simon.lachlan@alexarevel.plus.com";>simon.lachlan@alexarevel.plus.com</a>
 wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:000001d6374d$1ce22340$56a669c0$@alexarevel.plus.com">
        charset=windows-1252">
        medium)">
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
        {font-family:"Cambria Math";
        panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
        {font-family:Calibri;
        panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
        {margin:0cm;
        margin-bottom:.0001pt;
        font-size:11.0pt;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
        mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
span.EmailStyle17
        {mso-style-type:personal-compose;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
        color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
        {mso-style-type:export-only;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
        mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
@page WordSection1
        {size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
        margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;}
div.WordSection1
        {page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026" />
<o:shapelayout v:ext="edit">
<o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
          to the effect, ?How long might one expect a set of (proper
          Burlen) points for an SU pump to last?? <o:p></o:p></p>
          you say.<o:p></o:p></p>
          this:-  Not withstanding that they were not Taiwanese and that
          I reckon they were correctly installed, I think that they wore
          out rather quickly despite both sets being protected by Burlen
          supplied diodes.<o:p></o:p></p>
          glance, to be harder than I remembered from previous times??I
          could get both sets running on the bench. With four plus one
          extra holes after ?throw-over(?)?. But, once in the car, one
          pump would only work for a while?.totally haphazard.<o:p></o:p></p>
          terminals at the ?on, off, on? switch.:-<o:p></o:p></p>
          losing continuity hence cutting off power to the RHS.<o:p></o:p></p>
          reading, could the problems within the switch translate to
          sparking and issues within the pumps? points? And thus cause
          them to wear out so quickly?<o:p></o:p></p>

--------------EAE8B20ED926D69E7692F6B7--

--===============2891514639146030260==