Re: [Healeys] Anybody have experience with this battery?

To: gradea1@charter.net, 'Roland Wilhelmy' <sentenac.rw@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Anybody have experience with this battery?
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2020 18:52:23 -0700
Cc: 'Healeys' <healeys@autox.team.net>

--------------C0633C1C714960AEFF03DAEC

Nice. I currently have a couple of the 17HF Interstates; so far, they've
been OK, but I haven't had good luck with Interstate in other cars.  We
did a lot of work to fix a DPO's jury-rig of a 12V in the boot, I'd like
to keep the original 2x6V if at all possible.

Yeah, I can't find a 17L anywhere; since they're smaller I'd guess even
less cranking power.

Bob

On 6/8/2020 10:53 AM, gradea1@charter.net wrote:
> I'm using the concours correct 17L, 6V batteries from Antique auto
> battery(now Jim's or NLE)...bought years ago and kept on maintain
> charge. They no longer make a 17L battery.  Now-a-days you can still
> purchase a 19L battery which will fit the tray, has mounting ears, and
> is about 1" taller than the old 17s.  Reason why is that VW bugs and
> MGBs also used  that same unit. As Roland says: be sure to insulate
> the battery lid with Armacord; if the lid is distorted it could short
> out the terminals. Otherwise it fits fine and is more powerful than
> the 17L. Interstate Battery makes one available today. One 12V works
> as well, but you will fail concours (if that's an issue). Here is the
> battery layout using original 17Ls in my 100. Hank, healeyhelper.com

  <head>
  </head>
    Nice. I currently have a couple of the 17HF Interstates; so far,
    they've been OK, but I haven't had good luck with Interstate in
    other cars.  We did a lot of work to fix a DPO's jury-rig of a 12V
    in the boot, I'd like to keep the original 2x6V if at all possible.<br>
    Yeah, I can't find a 17L anywhere; since they're smaller I'd guess
    even less cranking power.<br>
    Bob<br>
      <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:gradea1@charter.net";>gradea1@charter.net</a> wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:dae21be723c53e402415d872ee2eaf7bf009dde0@webmail">
      I'm using the concours correct 17L, 6V batteries from Antique auto
      battery(now Jim's or NLE)...bought years ago and kept on maintain
      charge. They no longer make a 17L battery.  Now-a-days you can
      still purchase a 19L battery which will fit the tray, has mounting
      ears, and is about 1" taller than the old 17s.  Reason why is that
      VW bugs and MGBs also used  that same unit. As Roland says: be
      sure to insulate the battery lid with Armacord; if the lid is
      distorted it could short out the terminals. Otherwise it fits fine
      and is more powerful than the 17L. Interstate Battery makes one
      available today. One 12V works as well, but you will fail concours
      (if that's an issue). Here is the battery layout using original
      17Ls in my 100. Hank, healeyhelper.com<br>
          to top of battery posts. If height to top of posts is 9 and a
          fraction inches you can still use in a BN1 or 2 but you risk
          shorting battery to the body if you aren't very careful and if
          you didn't insulate the underside of the door well. It fits
          all the other cars, though.
            tops is limited and marginal. Modern batteries are much more
            energetic and smaller, too. A 12volt battery that will fit
            the battery tray will do better than two original tar top
            6volt batteries and cost about <span class="money">$50</span>.
            So unless you are going for Concours save your money. </div>
            Bob Spidell &lt;<a href="mailto:bspidell@comcast.net";
              moz-do-not-send="true">bspidell@comcast.net</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
            .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
              looks close:<br>
              <b><a href="https://tinyurl.com/y7mpa5j8"; target="_blank"
                  moz-do-not-send="true">https://tinyurl.com/y7mpa5j8</a></b>
      </sentenac.rw@gmail.com>