Re: [Healeys] Brakes

To: "Michael Salter" <michaelsalter@gmail.com>, "Bob Spidell" <bspidell@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Brakes
From: "Earl Kagna" <kags@shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2020 17:30:43 -0700
Cc: healeys@autox.team.net

--===============3096533403314699621==
        boundary="----=_NextPart_000_002F_01D640DF.334DA6E0"

------=_NextPart_000_002F_01D640DF.334DA6E0
        charset="UTF-8"

Fred / Bob:

I have to agree with Michael on this =E2=80=93 rebuilding the Girling =
servo is tricky at best.  Plus, there is always the possibility that the =
bore in the servo body has enough damage that it would need to be =
repaired =E2=80=93 sleeved =E2=80=93 which is a complicated job as the =
bore is stepped.  And you don=E2=80=99t really know it=E2=80=99s needed =
until it is off the car and apart.

Another diagnostic measure: pull the rear spark plugs - if there is =
brake fluid being drawn in, they will very white in appearance, =
depending on the brake fluid (glycol or silicone).

Quite a few us here on the west coast in BC have installed the PBR VH44 =
servo with great success.  It is a more modern design =E2=80=93 a =
diaphragm servo, rather than the vacuum piston.  Plus it has a very =
convenient bleed screw of it=E2=80=99s own =E2=80=93 particularly =
helpful if DOT 5 silicone brake fluid is being used.  Plus, it =
doesn=E2=80=99t look too out of place on the Healey, unless you paint it =
pink!=20

I=E2=80=99m sure that a search of the usual Healey parts suppliers will =
tell you if they are available in North America.  We have dealt with =
Hydroboost in Australia =E2=80=93 last time we ordered, they supplied =
fitting kits as well =E2=80=93 a couple of pre-bent brake pipes, a =
correct vacuum hose (it needs to be about 4 inches longer than the =
original), and a pair of Kilmartin mounting brackets (they are very =
close neighbours).

One caution: the PBR VH44 is made in several boost ratios, so pay =
attention to get the correct version for the Healey.  Check their =
web-site =E2=80=93 all kinds of interesting information on servos.

Hope this helps.

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BJ8, BT7 tri-carb