Re: [Healeys] Tapitty tapping of Fuel Pump

To: "Editorgary@aol.com" <editorgary@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Tapitty tapping of Fuel Pump
From: Alan Seigrist <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2020 10:07:39 +0800
Cc: "healeys@autox.team.net" <healeys@autox.team.net>

--000000000000ae32e905a8a2b5db

Hi Gary -

If you start hearing the pump run really quickly, it can be indicative of
vapor lock getting back into the fuel line... can happen at the end of long
trips.  It's because the fuel starts vaporizing around where the line goes
into the floats, and the float jet then is no longer cutting off fuel flow
because it is pushing vapor into the float bowls, which leaks out the
overflow tube.  As long as your car is running it should be okay, you might
use more fuel than normal.  Try wiring a piece of wood to the incoming fuel
line - this is an old trick with Atlantics to act as a heat sink on hot
days and stop vapor lock on the Atlantics which use mechanical fuel pumps.

Best,

Alan

On Mon, Jun 22, 2020 at 9:12 AM editorgary--- via Healeys <
healeys@autox.team.net> wrote:

> Yesterday I took my Healey BN& out for its first good run of the season --
> 75 miles of southern Oregon backroads -- with our local Rogue Euro Car
> Group. Everything was terrific from start to finish. Car started on the
> first push of the button after sitting for six weeks, ran smoothly from
> start to finish, never faltered in restarts, everything nominal.
>
> Except that, towards the end of the run on a pretty hot day (in mid 90s
> though the car never ran warm all day) as I was cruising along about 40
> mph, the fuel pump started tapping at a high rate of speed and pretty
> continuously -- certain enough so I could hear it behind me. I have a
> standard original-spec points-style fuel pump, purchased new from Moss
> about 10 years ago and running without any issues every since.
>
> Any thoughts from anyone -- could it just have been the heat? As noted,
> the car never missed a beat, so fuel was getting through the carbs smoothly
> at all times.
>
> Anyone?
>
> Gary Anderson

> Unsubscribe/Manage:

--000000000000ae32e905a8a2b5db

 run really quickly, it can be indicative of vapor lock getting back into t=
he fuel line... can happen at the end of long trips.=C2=A0 It&#39;s because=
 the fuel starts vaporizing around where the line goes into the floats, and=
 the float jet then is no longer cutting off fuel flow because it is pushin=
g vapor into the float bowls, which leaks out the overflow tube.=C2=A0 As l=
ong as your car is running it should be okay, you might use more fuel than =
normal.=C2=A0 Try wiring a piece of wood to the incoming fuel line - this i=
s an old trick with Atlantics to act as a heat sink on hot days and stop va=
mail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Mon, Jun 22, 2020 at 9=
:12 AM editorgary--- via Healeys &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:healeys@autox.team.n=
il_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,2=
04,204);padding-left:1ex">
good run of the season -- 75 miles of southern Oregon backroads -- with our=
 local Rogue Euro Car Group. Everything was terrific from start to finish. =
Car started on the first push of the button after sitting for six weeks, ra=
n smoothly from start to finish, never faltered in restarts, everything nom=
inal.</font></div>

Except that, towards the end of the run on a pretty hot day (in mid 90s tho=
ugh the car never ran warm all day) as I was cruising along about 40 mph, t=
he fuel pump started tapping at a high rate of speed and pretty continuousl=
y -- certain enough so I could hear it behind me. I have a standard origina=
l-spec points-style fuel pump, purchased new from Moss about 10 years ago a=
nd running without any issues every since. <br>

he heat? As noted, the car never missed a beat, so fuel was getting through=
 the carbs smoothly at all times. <br>

rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys"; rel=3D"noreferre=
r" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a> <a href=3D"h=