Re: [Healeys] 3/8 BSF studs

To: "'Michael Salter'" <michaelsalter@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] 3/8 BSF studs
From: gradea1@charter.net
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2020 16:26:25 +0000 cQs30urAA2tn8YfQgOAuy4YqOoOcxiAxYAne4hMKaF+JRc6a4eF4AI1WI6po6TjXBd53z+V6CDf3jcql3BZWaUf+NnFMCxONDOE=
Cc: "'healeys@autox.team.net'" <healeys@autox.team.net>

--=_6a69b57ca9468954277217b48ac9c26d

Michael- This is a common scene on the early cars. Happened to me,=0Aoft=
en, as well as others I'm sure. The real "clue" to the issue is as=0Ayou=
 said: "but after a few turns became tight"..as soon as I get that=0Aind=
icator I get out my Whitworth thread gauge.=0AI'm currently working on a=
 100 transmission that had its studs=0A"modified"...I guess that's why w=
e have British Tools and Fasteners in=0ALyons, N.Y. Hopefully not too ma=
ny mods to your car- studs are $4.50=0Aeach, but correct BSF thread. Tha=
t issue cost me $50 to be able to=0Abutton up this gearbox to the overdr=
ive. Regards, Hank=0A=0A=09-----------------------------------------From=
: "Michael Salter" =0ATo: healeys@autox.team.net=0ACc: =0ASent: Friday J=
une 26 2020 7:55:29AM=0ASubject: [Healeys] 3/8 BSF studs=0A=0AThe 100 th=
at I'm restoring has been previously "restored" so I'm being=0Apretty ca=
reful with threads and running taps and chasers through any=0Athat look=
 even slightly suspicious. The exhaust flange studs on a 100=0A(2K7708)=
 are 3/8" BSF and 3 years back the ones on this engine looked=0Ato be in=
 such good shape that I decided that running a chaser down=0Athem wasn't=
 necessary. Silly me!!With one of the last jobs being=0Ainstalling one o=
f my specially made single sweeping curve front pipes=0AI confidently st=
arted running the BSF nuts up to secure the flange. On=0Athe last one th=
e nut started well but after a few turns became tight=0A.... as is my us=
ual practice I decided to back it off and run a chaser=0Aup the stud to=
 clean up the thread.Ahhh Houston .... the nut had=0Aseized tight on the=
 thread and despite every trick the stud eventually=0Abroke off at the t=
op of the thread.Now this is on an engine that I=0Ahave painstakingly re=
stored however, there was no option but to remove=0Aall the manifolds to=
 replace the stud ... Only after all that did I=0Adiscover that this 1 s=
tud had been replaced with a UNF and that was=0Awhy the brass nut had lo=
cked onto it ...Yeeech!!!!!How was your day?=0A

--=_6a69b57ca9468954277217b48ac9c26d

pened to me, often, as well as others I'm sure.&nbsp; The real "clue" to=
 the issue is as you said: "but after a few turns became tight"..as soon=
 as I get that indicator I get out my Whitworth thread gauge.<div><br></=
div><div>I'm currently working on a 100 transmission that had its studs=
 "modified"...I guess that's why we have British Tools and Fasteners in=
 Lyons, N.Y. Hopefully not too many mods to your car- studs are $4.50 ea=
ch, but correct BSF thread. That issue cost me $50 to be able to button=
 up this gearbox to the overdrive. Regards, Hank<br><br><div class=3D"re=
ply-new-signature"></div><p>-----------------------------------------</p=
>From: "Michael Salter" <michaelsalter@gmail.com><br>To: healeys@autox.t=
as been previously "restored" so I'm being pretty careful with threads a=
nd running taps and chasers through any that look even slightly suspicio=
us.&nbsp;<div dir=3D"auto">The exhaust flange studs on a 100 (2K7708) ar=
e 3/8" BSF and 3 years back the ones on this engine looked to be in such=
 good&nbsp;shape that I decided that running a chaser down them wasn't n=
>With one of the last jobs being installing one of my specially made sin=
gle sweeping curve front pipes I confidently started running the BSF nut=
s up to secure the flange. On the last one the nut started well but afte=
r a few turns became tight .... as is my usual practice I decided to bac=
k it off and run a chaser up the stud to clean up the thread.</div><div=
 dir=3D"auto">Ahhh Houston&nbsp; .... the nut had seized tight on the th=
read and despite every trick the stud eventually broke off at the top of=
 the thread.</div><div dir=3D"auto">Now this is on an engine that I have=
 painstakingly restored however,&nbsp; there was no option but to remove=
 all the manifolds to replace the stud ...&nbsp;</div><div dir=3D"auto">=
Only after all that did I discover that this 1 stud had been replaced wi=
th a UNF and that was why the brass nut had locked onto it ...</div><div=

--=_6a69b57ca9468954277217b48ac9c26d--

--===============3111468819991362992==