Re: [Healeys] 3/8 BSF studs

To: Michael Salter <michaelsalter@gmail.com>, Per Schoerner <per@schoerner.se>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] 3/8 BSF studs
From: Michael MacLean <rrengineer.mike@att.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2020 19:34:58 +0000 (UTC)
Cc: healeys@autox.team.net

------=_Part_4319090_854186329.1593200098996

 I sent for the exhaust flange studs from one of the usual suppliers for my=
 BN2 because I had none with the exhaust manifold that I obtained for this =
car.=C2=A0 Turns out they sent me a 5/16ths thread size for screwing into t=
he flange.=C2=A0 Probably a BSF thread. but it turned out to be too small.=
=C2=A0 Somewhere along the way of this manifold's life someone re-tapped th=
e holes to a larger (3/8ths?) course SAE thread.=C2=A0 Plain Chevy manifold=
 flange bolts you can buy in any parts store fit perfectly and the set come=
s with locking nuts.=C2=A0 Not to overthink this or create more work for my=
self, I decided to go with the flow and just bought the Chevy studs and wor=
ry about the next thing that does not fit correctly on my project.=C2=A0=20

    On Friday, June 26, 2020, 12:00:39 PM PDT, Per Schoerner <per@schoerner=
.se> wrote: =20
=20
 Michael
Happened to me too, but the other way around. I accidentally bought studs f=
or a 100 when I restored a 3000. I couldn=E2=80=99t understand why the stud=
s didn=E2=80=99t fit, until many swear words later I discovered my mistake.

Per

Skickat fr=C3=A5n min iPhone

> 26 juni 2020 kl. 16:55 skrev Michael Salter <michaelsalter@gmail.com>:
>=20
> =EF=BB=BF
> The 100 that I'm restoring has been previously "restored" so I'm being pr=
etty careful with threads and running taps and chasers through any that loo=
k even slightly suspicious.=20
> The exhaust flange studs on a 100 (2K7708) are 3/8" BSF and 3 years back =
the ones on this engine looked to be in such good shape that I decided that=
 running a chaser down them wasn't necessary.=20
> Silly me!!
> With one of the last jobs being installing one of my specially made singl=
e sweeping curve front pipes I confidently started running the BSF nuts up =
to secure the flange. On the last one the nut started well but after a few =
turns became tight .... as is my usual practice I decided to back it off an=
d run a chaser up the stud to clean up the thread.
> Ahhh Houston=C2=A0 .... the nut had seized tight on the thread and despit=
e every trick the stud eventually broke off at the top of the thread.
> Now this is on an engine that I have painstakingly restored however,=C2=
=A0 there was no option but to remove all the manifolds to replace the stud=
 ...=20
> Only after all that did I discover that this 1 stud had been replaced wit=
h a UNF and that was why the brass nut had locked onto it=20

r.mike@att.net

 =20
------=_Part_4319090_854186329.1593200098996

=3D"font-family:times new roman, new york, times, serif;font-size:16px;"><d=
iv></div>
e studs from one of the usual suppliers for my BN2 because I had none with =
the exhaust manifold that I obtained for this car.&nbsp; Turns out they sen=
t me a 5/16ths thread size for screwing into the flange.&nbsp; Probably a B=
SF thread. but it turned out to be too small.&nbsp; Somewhere along the way=
 of this manifold's life someone re-tapped the holes to a larger (3/8ths?) =
course SAE thread.&nbsp; Plain Chevy manifold flange bolts you can buy in a=
ny parts store fit perfectly and the set comes with locking nuts.&nbsp; Not=
 to overthink this or create more work for myself, I decided to go with the=
 flow and just bought the Chevy studs and worry about the next thing that d=
       =20
ans-serif;font-size:13px;color:#26282a;">
r &lt;per@schoerner.se&gt; wrote:
 me too, but the other way around. I accidentally bought studs for a 100 wh=
en I restored a 3000. I couldn=E2=80=99t understand why the studs didn=E2=
=80=99t fit, until many swear words later I discovered my mistake.<br clear=
at fr=C3=A5n min iPhone<br clear=3D"none"><div class=3D"yqt8656605364" id=
=3D"yqtfd60713"><br clear=3D"none">&gt; 26 juni 2020 kl. 16:55 skrev Michae=
l Salter &lt;<a shape=3D"rect" ymailto=3D"mailto:michaelsalter@gmail.com"; h=
ref=3D"mailto:michaelsalter@gmail.com";>michaelsalter@gmail.com</a>&gt;:<br =
clear=3D"none">&gt; <br clear=3D"none">&gt; =EF=BB=BF<br clear=3D"none">&gt=
; The 100 that I'm restoring has been previously "restored" so I'm being pr=
etty careful with threads and running taps and chasers through any that loo=
k even slightly suspicious. <br clear=3D"none">&gt; The exhaust flange stud=
s on a 100 (2K7708) are 3/8" BSF and 3 years back the ones on this engine l=
ooked to be in such good shape that I decided that running a chaser down th=
em wasn't necessary. <br clear=3D"none">&gt; Silly me!!<br clear=3D"none">&=
gt; With one of the last jobs being installing one of my specially made sin=
gle sweeping curve front pipes I confidently started running the BSF nuts u=
p to secure the flange. On the last one the nut started well but after a fe=
w turns became tight .... as is my usual practice I decided to back it off =
and run a chaser up the stud to clean up the thread.<br clear=3D"none">&gt;=
 Ahhh Houston&nbsp; .... the nut had seized tight on the thread and despite=
 every trick the stud eventually broke off at the top of the thread.<br cle=
ar=3D"none">&gt; Now this is on an engine that I have painstakingly restore=
d however,&nbsp; there was no option but to remove all the manifolds to rep=
lace the stud ... <br clear=3D"none">&gt; Only after all that did I discove=
r that this 1 stud had been replaced with a UNF and that was why the brass =
nut had locked onto it <br clear=3D"none"><br clear=3D"none">______________=
_________________________________<br clear=3D"none">Support Team.Net <a sha=
pe=3D"rect" href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html"; target=3D"_blank">http=
://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br clear=3D"none">Suggested annual donation=
&nbsp; $12.75<br clear=3D"none"><br clear=3D"none">Archive: <a shape=3D"rec=
t" href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys " target=3D"_blank">http:/=
/www.team.net/pipermail/healeys </a><a shape=3D"rect" href=3D"http://autox.=
team.net/archive" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/archive</a><br cl=
ear=3D"none"><br clear=3D"none"><a shape=3D"rect" ymailto=3D"mailto:Healeys=
@autox.team.net" href=3D"mailto:Healeys@autox.team.net";>Healeys@autox.team.=
net</a><br clear=3D"none"><a shape=3D"rect" href=3D"http://autox.team.net/m=
 <a shape=3D"rect" href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/rr=
engineer.mike@att.net" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/opti=