Re: [Healeys] Non-Healey related batteries issue

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Non-Healey related batteries issue
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2020 09:59:21 -0700

--------------9CCE21D7922C8AF50DFDA204

What kind of batteries are they (I'm guessing NiMH)? If they are NiMH
or, less likely LiON, I don't think there is any chance of restoring
them; the only batteries that I know of that can sometimes be
resurrected are good ol' lead-acid, which sometimes can be desulphated
(whether they'll ever get the original capacity back is questionable).

LiON batteries, esp. older ones, tend to grow 'tentacles' and short out
internally; I would not mess with them at all as they can burn
explosively. NiMH I know less about, but I've never heard to them being
recovered, only recycled.

Bob

On 8/10/2020 9:51 AM, Simon Lachlan via Healeys wrote:

> Some free advice would be much appreciated��.
>
> I am in France, so out of touch with my normal garages/suppliers etc
> etc��Thus more out of touch than usual.
>
> So, my brother-in-law has bought an electric scooter. A fine looking
> big thing that reminds me of the Honda Spacey that my wife
> occasionally used about 25 years ago. A two seater.
>
> This thing is two years old, +/-, so letâ??s say that the batteries are
> 30 months old.
>
> He bought the bike for â?¬1 so it was hardly a great investment.
> (Delivery cost him an expensive bottle of red!).
>
> The batteries seem to be quite dead, useless. Iâ??d call that very odd.
> Apparently the PO was a bit of an ass and didnâ??t look after bike or
> batteries at all well.
>
> Nevertheless, stone dead so soon?
>
> I seem to recall a discussion on this list some years back that
> pertained to similar batteries. Are they dead or merely sleeping??
> Plugging in the charger does nothing. Is there not something clever
> that one can do to jolt these things back to life?
>
> A new set of batteries is +/-â?¬1000:00 which seems a bit
> disproportionate in the circs?
>
> Any ideas would be gratefully receivedâ?¦..
>
> Thanks,
>
> Simon

--------------9CCE21D7922C8AF50DFDA204

  <head>
  </head>
    What kind of batteries are they (I'm guessing NiMH)? If they are
    NiMH or, less likely LiON, I don't think there is any chance of
    restoring them; the only batteries that I know of that can sometimes
    be resurrected are good ol' lead-acid, which sometimes can be
    desulphated (whether they'll ever get the original capacity back is
    questionable).<br>
    LiON batteries, esp. older ones, tend to grow 'tentacles' and short
    out internally; I would not mess with them at all as they can burn
    explosively. NiMH I know less about, but I've never heard to them
    being recovered, only recycled.<br>
    Bob<br>
      Healeys wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:000501d66f36$824c8ba0$86e5a2e0$@alexarevel.plus.com">
        medium)">
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
        {font-family:"Cambria Math";
        panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
        {font-family:Calibri;
        panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
        {margin:0cm;
        font-size:11.0pt;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
        mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
span.EmailStyle17
        {mso-style-type:personal-compose;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
        color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
        {mso-style-type:export-only;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
        mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
@page WordSection1
        {size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
        margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;}
div.WordSection1
        {page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026" />
<o:shapelayout v:ext="edit">
<o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
          appreciated��.<o:p></o:p></p>
          normal garages/suppliers etc etc��Thus more out of touch than
          usual.<o:p></o:p></p>
          electric scooter. A fine looking big thing that reminds me of
          the Honda Spacey that my wife occasionally used about 25 years
          ago. A two seater.<o:p></o:p></p>
          say that the batteries are 30 months old. <o:p></o:p></p>
          a great investment. (Delivery cost him an expensive bottle of
          red!).<o:p></o:p></p>
          useless. Iâ??d call that very odd. Apparently the PO was a bit
          of an ass and didnâ??t look after bike or batteries at all
well.<o:p></o:p></p>
          some years back that pertained to similar batteries. Are they
          dead or merely sleeping?? Plugging in the charger does
          nothing. Is there not something clever that one can do to jolt
          these things back to life? <o:p></o:p></p>
          seems a bit disproportionate in the circs?<o:p></o:p></p>
receivedâ?¦..<o:p></o:p></p>

--------------9CCE21D7922C8AF50DFDA204--

--===============7523228804879673089==