Re: [Healeys] Fuel pump

To: Fred Wescoe <fredwescoe@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Fuel pump
From: Michael Oritt via Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2020 21:31:59 -0400
Cc: healeys <Healeys@autox.team.net>

--000000000000878bc505af643c71

Fred--

You asked:  "Also, if I switch to the double ended pump, do both ends work
at the same time or is one end a backup for the other end?  If one end
failed would the other end provide fuel in the normal manner and save me?"

Since these pumps were not original to Healeys there is no correct way to
wire them and the answer to your question would depend entirely upon how
you wired the power/switch.  You can choose between a SPDT ("On-Off-On")
switch where only one motor runs at a time or a SPST ("Off-On") switch (or
no switch at all) where both motors run simultaneously.  In the first setup
the "backup plan" would only happen were you to switch from a non-operative
motor to an operative one.  In the second/third arrangement the pumping
load is theoretically shared all the time by both motors and if one craps
out the other simply does all the work.

FWIW I have the SPDT version mounted inconspicuously through the rear
bulkhead behind the driver;s seat so it can be reached while driving.

Best--Michael Oritt

On Tue, Sep 15, 2020 at 7:22 PM Fred Wescoe <fredwescoe@gmail.com> wrote:

> Listers,
>
> I was out for a long drive in the mountains this afternoon and on an
> uphill grade, the car lost power and as I pulled over on a pull off, the
> engine died.  I sat in the car for a couple of minutes trying to restart
> it.  I waited until traffic was past me and turned the key but did not hear
> the ticking of the fuel pump.  I waited several minutes, tried again but no
> luck.
>
> I called AAA and they picked me and the car up for the ride home.  At
> home, off the flatbed, still no ticking.  So, I am thinking the fuel
> pump is dead.
>
> Looking at the Moss site, they list an early and a late BJ8 pump.  The
> Moss tech couldn't tell me which I am.  My car number is 29009.  Am I an
> early or late pump?  Also, if I switch to the double ended pump, do both
> ends work at the same time or is one end a backup for the other end?  If
> one end failed would the other end provide fuel in the normal manner and
> save me?
>
> Should I simply go with whichever single pump is for my car and then
> install a backup pump?
>
> Just as an important aside, AAA said covid regulations prohibited me from
> riding in the tow truck cab with the driver.  I was somewhat amazed at this
> but AAA offered to transfer me to the nearest car rental place as a
> service.  I made my call but my ride didn't arrive before the truck driver
> (she was in the middle of a haircut so you know where that got me).  The
> driver was very nice about the whole thing and did allow me in the cab with
> him (I wore my mask).
>
> I will start investigating the source of the pump problem tomorrow.
>
> Thanks for all input on this one,
>
> Fred
>
> 66 BJ8 (new or late)
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/michael.oritt@gmail.com

--000000000000878bc505af643c71

class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"color:#3333ff">You asked:=C2=A0 &quot;<spa=
n style=3D"color:rgb(0,0,0)">Also, if I switch to the double=C2=A0ended pum=
p, do both ends work at the same time or is one end a backup for the other =
end?=C2=A0 If one end failed would the other end provide fuel in the normal=
 manner and save me?&quot;</span></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=
lass=3D"gmail_default" style=3D""><font color=3D"#0000ff">Since these pumps=
 were not original to Healeys there is no correct way to wire them and the =
answer to your question would depend entirely upon how you=C2=A0wired=C2=A0=
the power/switch.=C2=A0 You can choose between a SPDT (&quot;On-Off-On&quot=
;) switch where only one motor runs at a time or a SPST (&quot;Off-On&quot;=
) switch (or no switch at all) where both motors run simultaneously.=C2=A0 =
In the first setup the &quot;backup plan&quot; would only happen were you t=
o switch from a non-operative motor to an operative=C2=A0one.=C2=A0 In the =
second/third arrangement the pumping load is theoretically shared all the=
=C2=A0time=C2=A0by both motors and if one craps out the other simply does a=
t color=3D"#0000ff">FWIW I have the SPDT version mounted inconspicuously th=
rough the rear bulkhead behind the=C2=A0driver;s seat so it can be reached =
v class=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Tue, Sep 1=
5, 2020 at 7:22 PM Fred Wescoe &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:fredwescoe@gmail.com";>=
te" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204=
for a long drive in the mountains this afternoon and on an uphill grade, th=
e car lost power and as I pulled over on a pull off, the engine died.=C2=A0=
 I sat in the car for a couple of minutes trying=C2=A0to restart it.=C2=A0 =
I waited until traffic was past me and turned the key but did not hear the =
ticking of the fuel pump.=C2=A0 I waited several=C2=A0minutes, tried again =
he car up for the ride home.=C2=A0 At home, off the flatbed, still no ticki=
 pump.=C2=A0 The Moss tech couldn&#39;t tell me which I am.=C2=A0 My car nu=
mber is 29009.=C2=A0 Am I an early or late pump?=C2=A0 Also, if I switch to=
 the double=C2=A0ended pump, do both ends work at the same time or is one e=
nd a backup for the other end?=C2=A0 If one end failed would the other end =
uld I simply go with whichever single pump is for my car and=C2=A0then inst=
e, AAA said covid regulations prohibited me from riding in the tow truck ca=
b with the driver.=C2=A0 I was somewhat amazed at this but AAA offered to t=
ransfer me to the nearest car rental place as a service.=C2=A0 I made my ca=
ll but my ride didn&#39;t arrive before the truck driver (she was in the mi=
ddle=C2=A0of a haircut so you know where that=C2=A0got me).=C2=A0 The drive=
r was very nice about the whole thing and did allow me in the cab with him =
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys"; rel=3D"noreferre=
r" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a> <a href=3D"h=
ttp://autox.team.net/archive" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://a=