Re: [Healeys] Fuel sender leak

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Fuel sender leak
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2021 10:05:36 -0800

--------------ACC916EC4B6F7FB2F000387A

ps. Tonopah is a MAJOR speed trap. We once filled-up at the Shell
station on the south side of town next to a couple in an SUV. They
didn't get two blocks down the street before they got pulled-over (they
were mixed-race, which may or may not have had something to do with it).

On 1/1/2021 9:58 AM, Bob Spidell wrote:
> FWIW, I occasionally--these days, previously often--filled my BJ8's
> tank within a couple inches of the filler hole; esp. when I know I'm
> facing a long stretch with no gas stations. For example, it's over 200
> miles from Caliente, NV to Tonopah, NV with a medium-sized mountain
> range in between and no gas. I once shut off my engine and coasted for
> a few miles on the downslope when I was running low into Tonopah; and
> once, some Jeepers arrived at Rachel, NV--which at one time had some
> regular--begging for gas and offering to 'pay anything' for a few
> gallons. I'm not recommending the practice, but you do what you have
> to do.
>
> If the smell is indeed coming through the sleeve, I believe green
> threadlocker ('Locktite') is meant to be used post-installation of
> fasteners, as it supposedly weeps into tiny gaps. I have no idea how
> well it would hold up to today's pseudo-gasoline, though.
>

> On 1/1/2021 9:10 AM, warthodson--- via Healeys wrote:
>> John,
>> If the white plastic sleeve is is glued in place it is problematic to
>> try to remove it a try to seal it. As you probably already know, if
>> the fuel is reaching the elevation of the plastic sleeve then it is
>> above the top of the fuel tank & that means that every thing
>> associated with the tank is under positive pressure. Any small leak
>> will be apparent due to the smell of fuel. That would also include
>> the rubber sleeve connecting the tank to the fuel filler tube
>> especially if the fuel tank is filled so that there is standing fuel
>> in the filler tube & then the car is parked. If the leak is small
>> enough, there might not be any fuel visible, only vapor & the smell.
>> You might try parking the car for a few days with the fuel level
>> about 3/4 full & see if you can still smell fuel.
>> Gary Hodson

  <head>
  </head>
    ps. Tonopah is a MAJOR speed trap. We once filled-up at the Shell
    station on the south side of town next to a couple in an SUV. They
    didn't get two blocks down the street before they got pulled-over
    (they were mixed-race, which may or may not have had something to do
    with it).<br>
      cite="mid:e8b5a43f-3ed6-e5ba-5608-247d870c42f8@comcast.net">
      FWIW, I occasionally--these days, previously often--filled my
      BJ8's tank within a couple inches of the filler hole; esp. when I
      know I'm facing a long stretch with no gas stations. For example,
      it's over 200 miles from Caliente, NV to Tonopah, NV with a
      medium-sized mountain range in between and no gas. I once shut off
      my engine and coasted for a few miles on the downslope when I was
      running low into Tonopah; and once, some Jeepers arrived at
      Rachel, NV--which at one time had some regular--begging for gas
      and offering to 'pay anything' for a few gallons. I'm not
      recommending the practice, but you do what you have to do.<br>
      If the smell is indeed coming through the sleeve, I believe green
      threadlocker ('Locktite') is meant to be used post-installation of
      fasteners, as it supposedly weeps into tiny gaps. I have no idea
      how well it would hold up to today's pseudo-gasoline, though.<br>
        via Healeys wrote:<br>
        cite="mid:1427420157.4748485.1609521056490@mail.yahoo.com">
          charset=UTF-8">
            problematic to try to remove it a try to seal it. As you
            probably already know, if the fuel is reaching the elevation
            of the plastic sleeve then it is above the top of the fuel
            tank &amp; that means that every thing associated with the
            tank is under positive pressure. Any small leak will be
            apparent due to the smell of fuel. That would also include
            the rubber sleeve connecting the tank to the fuel filler
            tube especially if the fuel tank is filled so that there is
            standing fuel in the filler tube &amp; then the car is
            parked. If the leak is small enough, there might not be any
            fuel visible, only vapor &amp; the smell. You might try
            parking the car for a few days with the fuel level about 3/4
            full &amp; see if you can still smell fuel.</div>

style="font-family:arial,helvetica;font-size:10pt;color:black">-----Original
              Message-----<br>
              From: John Spaur <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
                href="mailto:jmsdarch@sbcglobal.net";
                moz-do-not-send="true">&lt;jmsdarch@sbcglobal.net&gt;</a><br>
              To: <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
                href="mailto:rfbegani@gmail.com";
moz-do-not-send="true">rfbegani@gmail.com</a>;
              'Bob Haskell' <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
                href="mailto:rchaskell@earthlink.net";
                moz-do-not-send="true">&lt;rchaskell@earthlink.net&gt;</a>;
              'Healey List' <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
                href="mailto:healeys@autox.team.net";
                moz-do-not-send="true">&lt;healeys@autox.team.net&gt;</a><br>
              Sent: Thu, Dec 31, 2020 8:28 pm<br>
              Subject: Re: [Healeys] Fuel sender leak<br>
                after-market sender showing the sleeve.<br clear="none">
                It seems to be glued in place.<br clear="none">
                    clear="none">

--------------ACC916EC4B6F7FB2F000387A--

--===============5822861440373785379==