Re: [Healeys] Trickle chargers

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Trickle chargers
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2021 11:23:46 -0800
You don't want a trickle charger (unless you're willing to constantly
monitor the battery's state of charge; otherwise they can overcharge and
'cook' your battery--ask me how I know ;). You want a 'smart charger.'

There was a time I would have recommended BatteryMinder, but the last
one I bought was lighter than the 3 I'd bought previously; I think they
went solid state over good ol' transformers, and it hasn't performed
well compared to the older ones. I bought a BM (heh) for AGM (only) 12V
batteries--I have AGMs in my BJ8 and some in yard/farm equipment--and
it's well-made and performs well (in particular, the cheaper ones have
flimsy connectors that often get chewed-up due to arcing). BatteryTender
is the main competition; I haven't used any but haven't seen any
negative comments on them. Harbor Freight sells one but, again, I have
no experience with it:

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-amp-fully-automatic-microprocessor-controlled-battery-chargermaintainer-63350.html

A trickle charger won't turn itself off; the good tenders monitor the
voltage closely and maintain a 'float' charge; some also have
desulfation capability which can sometimes resurrect a 'dead' battery:

https://www.upsbatterycenter.com/blog/battery-desulfation/

There are no 'cons' to using a good smart charger--except that you have
to remember to hook them up--used regularly they can extend the life and
usefulness of lead-acid batteries.

Bob