Re: [Healeys] Trickle chargers

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Trickle chargers
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2021 16:25:33 -0800

--------------90DF15D5D2D27348C6D0BD47

I don't think you can go wrong with BT, BM or Schumaker. Heck, the
Harbor Freight model might be OK; I wouldn't be shocked if they all came
from the same Chinese factory. Some will charge multiple batteries at a
time.

Good summary of batteries and chargers here:
https://itstillruns.com/difference-float-charger-trickle-charger-7646389.html

I got a good--read: expensive--SLA/AGM battery for my BJ8 after the
second time I had to remove my gas tank and acid-neutralize my boot. My
AGM charger looks just like your larger one, except it says 'AGM Only'
on it. The other one is the newer, lighter one I have; guess I'll have
to give it a second chance (could be my fault, I think I tried to charge
an AGM with it).

I have an old-school trickle charger in good nick; anyone who wants it
can stop by my mom's house (it's not worth shipping).

On 1/14/2021 3:12 PM, Michael MacLean wrote:
> I use Battery Minder maintainers.  The one I use on the Healeys tells
> you the state of charge when you hook it up and goes into charge
> mode.  It automatically will convert to float charge when the battery
> is near full.  Of course it also has a desulfation
> mode built in also.  Works great and you can leave it connected for
> long periods with no adverse effects other than a fully charged
> battery.  I use lead acid batteries because I can get reconditioned
> ones from the Interstate store for around $45.  They seem to last as
> long as a new one and the store is only 5 min away.  The other charger
> I use is also from the same manufacturer, but it is the newer solid
> state "light" model.  It is also smaller with less features, but it
> also sulfates and changes modes automatically as required to charge
> batteries.  I use the small one primarily on my Harley.  See below.
>
> Sent from AT&T Yahoo Mail on Android
>
>     On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 2:35 PM, Bruce Steele
>     <healeybruce@roadrunner.com> wrote:
>     I use Battery Tenders on my truck and Healey and are very happy
>     with them.  Battery Tenders monitor and float the charge so
>     prevent overcharging. They come with either a plug or large
>     alligator clip connection.  I've run a pigtail into the boot of
>     the Healey (I've a BN7 so the battery is not in the boot), and
>     I've a pigtail out the grill and under the rear bumper of my truck
>     to make plugging them in convenient.  Very happy with them.
>
>     Bruce Steele
>     Brea, CA
>     1960 BN7

  <head>
  </head>
    I don't think you can go wrong with BT, BM or Schumaker. Heck, the
    Harbor Freight model might be OK; I wouldn't be shocked if they all
    came from the same Chinese factory. Some will charge multiple
    batteries at a time.<br>
    Good summary of batteries and chargers here:
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="https://itstillruns.com/difference-float-charger-trickle-charger-7646389.html";>https://itstillruns.com/difference-float-charger-trickle-charger-7646389.html</a><br>
    I got a good--read: expensive--SLA/AGM battery for my BJ8 after the
    second time I had to remove my gas tank and acid-neutralize my boot.
    My AGM charger looks just like your larger one, except it says 'AGM
    Only' on it. The other one is the newer, lighter one I have; guess
    I'll have to give it a second chance (could be my fault, I think I
    tried to charge an AGM with it). <br>
    I have an old-school trickle charger in good nick; anyone who wants
    it can stop by my mom's house (it's not worth shipping).<br>
      wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:1524361051.67280.1610665939671@mail.yahoo.com">
      I use Battery Minder maintainers.  The one I use on the Healeys
      tells you the state of charge when you hook it up and goes into
      charge mode.  It automatically will convert to float charge when
      the battery is near full.  Of course it also has a desulfation<br>
      mode built in also.  Works great and you can leave it connected
      for long periods with no adverse effects other than a fully
      charged battery.  I use lead acid batteries because I can get
      reconditioned ones from the Interstate store for around $45.  They
      seem to last as long as a new one and the store is only 5 min
      away.  The other charger I use is also from the same manufacturer,
      but it is the newer solid state "light" model.  It is also smaller
      with less features, but it also sulfates and changes modes
      automatically as required to charge batteries.  I use the small
      one primarily on my Harley.  See below.<br>
          id="ymail_android_signature_link"
href="https://go.onelink.me/107872968?pid=InProduct&amp;c=Global_Internal_YGrowth_AndroidEmailSig__AndroidUsers&amp;af_wl=ym&amp;af_sub1=Internal&amp;af_sub2=Global_YGrowth&amp;af_sub3=EmailSignature";
          moz-do-not-send="true">Sent from AT&amp;T Yahoo Mail on
          Android</a></div>
href="mailto:healeybruce@roadrunner.com";>&lt;healeybruce@roadrunner.com&gt;</a>
wrote:</div>
          border-left: 1px solid #6D00F6;"> I use Battery Tenders on my
          truck and Healey and are very happy with them.  Battery
          Tenders monitor and float the charge so prevent overcharging.
          They come with either a plug or large alligator clip
          connection.  I've run a pigtail into the boot of the Healey
          (I've a BN7 so the battery is not in the boot), and I've a
          pigtail out the grill and under the rear bumper of my truck to
          make plugging them in convenient.  Very happy with them.<br
            clear="none">
          Bruce Steele<br clear="none">
          Brea, CA<br clear="none">
          1960 BN7<br clear="none">
          -----Original Message-----<br clear="none">
          From: Healeys [mailto:<a shape="rect"
            ymailto="mailto:healeys-bounces@autox.team.net";
            href="mailto:healeys-bounces@autox.team.net";
            moz-do-not-send="true">healeys-bounces@autox.team.net</a>]
          On Behalf Of Bob Spidell<br clear="none">
          Sent: Thursday, January 14, 2021 11:24 AM<br clear="none">
          To: <a shape="rect" ymailto="mailto:healeys@autox.team.net";
            href="mailto:healeys@autox.team.net";
moz-do-not-send="true">healeys@autox.team.net</a><br
            clear="none">
          Subject: Re: [Healeys] Trickle chargers<br clear="none">
          You don't want a trickle charger (unless you're willing to
          constantly monitor the battery's state of charge; otherwise
          they can overcharge and 'cook' your battery--ask me how I know
          ;). You want a 'smart charger.'<br clear="none">
          There was a time I would have recommended BatteryMinder, but
          the last one I bought was lighter than the 3 I'd bought
          previously; I think they went solid state over good ol'
          transformers, and it hasn't performed well compared to the
          older ones. I bought a BM (heh) for AGM (only) 12V
          batteries--I have AGMs in my BJ8 and some in yard/farm
          equipment--and it's well-made and performs well (in
          particular, the cheaper ones have flimsy connectors that often
          get chewed-up due to arcing). BatteryTender is the main
          competition; I haven't used any but haven't seen any negative
          comments on them. Harbor Freight sells one but, again, I have
          no experience with it:<br clear="none">
          <a shape="rect"
href="https://www.harborfreight.com/4-amp-fully-automatic-microprocessor-controlled-battery-chargermaintainer-63350.html";
            target="_blank"
moz-do-not-send="true">https://www.harborfreight.com/4-amp-fully-automatic-microprocessor-controlled-battery-chargermaintainer-63350.html</a><br
            clear="none">
          A trickle charger won't turn itself off; the good tenders
          monitor the voltage closely and maintain a 'float' charge;
          some also have desulfation capability which can sometimes
          resurrect a 'dead' battery:<br clear="none">
          <a shape="rect"
            href="https://www.upsbatterycenter.com/blog/battery-desulfation/";
            target="_blank"
moz-do-not-send="true">https://www.upsbatterycenter.com/blog/battery-desulfation/</a><br
            clear="none">
          There are no 'cons' to using a good smart charger--except that
          you have to remember to hook them up--used regularly they can
          extend the life and usefulness of lead-acid batteries.<br
            clear="none">
          Bob<br clear="none">
          On 1/14/2021 10:20 AM, Fred Wescoe wrote:<br clear="none">
          &gt; Listers,<br clear="none">
          &gt;<br clear="none">
          &gt; What is the thinking on the best trickle charger to
          invest in? Pros <br clear="none">
          &gt; and cons on using one?<br clear="none">
          &gt;<br clear="none">
          &gt;<br clear="none">
          &gt; Fred<br clear="none">
          &gt;<br clear="none">