Re: [Healeys] Front Bearings

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Front Bearings
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2021 09:53:00 -0800

--------------66BDAE2E8CB2E61E7721A073

It certainly doesn't hurt to re-check end-play, even if 'nothing
changed;' the DPO--including yourself--who last did them may not have
gotten them exactly correct, and even a slight bit of wear-in could
change the depth.  End-play can/should be checked and adjusted dry or
with just a light oil on the bearings--grease gets messy and could be
contaminated in the process--then clean them thoroughly before packing
with grease and reinstalling.

I torqued my BJ8's bearings to 'spec' once, and one of the tabbed
lock-washers spun and made a noise like a bearing failing (until it
wedged itself against the shims). Now, I keep my torque wrench in the
drawer and torque to the last slot on the castellated nut that a
1/2-inch breaker bar and my 'armstrong' driver will allow. I don't think
there's much risk of overtorquing the nut--what is it, 3/4 inch?--and,
like a lot of aftermarket parts the tab on the inside of the washer may
not be a precise fit in the slot. I torque the nut until the hole in the
axle and a slot on the nut will /just/ fit a cotter, so the cotter will
resist any turning of the nut from the get-go; any gap could allow not
insignificant release of the nut's load.

Bob

On 1/24/2021 9:26 AM, gradea1@charter.net wrote:
> The torque spec is 40-70 ft. lbs. The reason for that is to allow you
> to get lined up with a hole in the axle for the cotter (splitpin).  If
> you did not change the bearings (just repacked them) then there is no
> need to measure...replace the original shims that were removed. IF you
> put in new bearings, then you should measure the gap, as described in
> the workshop manual, and adjust them as needed.
>
> In any event, when the wheel is all back together, prior to installing
> the caliper, it should turn freely.
> Use Hi Temp wheel bearing grease to lube, especially if you have disc
> brakes. Clean, check for wear (See article in Jan. issue of AH Mag)
> and lightly lube the splines of the hub and wheel either with the same
> grease or anti seize grease. Check this flex brake hose while there,
> for cracks or bulging. Most info from manual, rest from doing it...Hank

  <head>
  </head>
    It certainly doesn't hurt to re-check end-play, even if 'nothing
    changed;' the DPO--including yourself--who last did them may not
    have gotten them exactly correct, and even a slight bit of wear-in
    could change the depth.  End-play can/should be checked and adjusted
    dry or with just a light oil on the bearings--grease gets messy and
    could be contaminated in the process--then clean them thoroughly
    before packing with grease and reinstalling.<br>
    I torqued my BJ8's bearings to 'spec' once, and one of the tabbed
    lock-washers spun and made a noise like a bearing failing (until it
    wedged itself against the shims). Now, I keep my torque wrench in
    the drawer and torque to the last slot on the castellated nut that a
    1/2-inch breaker bar and my 'armstrong' driver will allow. I don't
    think there's much risk of overtorquing the nut--what is it, 3/4
    inch?--and, like a lot of aftermarket parts the tab on the inside of
    the washer may not be a precise fit in the slot. I torque the nut
    until the hole in the axle and a slot on the nut will <i>just</i>
    fit a cotter, so the cotter will resist any turning of the nut from
    the get-go; any gap could allow not insignificant release of the
    nut's load.<br>
    Bob<br>
      <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:gradea1@charter.net";>gradea1@charter.net</a> wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:2ecc1c19df768c66f48047eaa610e0d376f88bef@webmail">
      The torque spec is 40-70 ft. lbs. The reason for that is to allow
      you to get lined up with a hole in the axle for the cotter
      (splitpin).  If you did not change the bearings (just repacked
      them) then there is no need to measure...replace the original
      shims that were removed. IF you put in new bearings, then you
      should measure the gap, as described in the workshop manual, and
      adjust them as needed.
        installing the caliper, it should turn freely.</div>
        have disc brakes. Clean, check for wear (See article in Jan.
        issue of AH Mag) and lightly lube the splines of the hub and
        wheel either with the same grease or anti seize grease. Check
        this flex brake hose while there, for cracks or bulging. Most
        info from manual, rest from doing it...Hank<br>
          No, you don't need to re-torque the nuts. They are torqued to
          spec
          on<br>
          installation and the cotter pin inserted to keep them there.<br>
          Steve Byers<br>
          HBJ8L/36666<br>
          BJ8 Registry<br>
          AHCA Delegate at Large<br>
          Havelock, NC USA<br>
          -----Original Message-----<br>
          From: Healeys [<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="mailto:healeys-bounces@autox.team.net";>mailto:healeys-bounces@autox.team.net</a>]
 On
          Behalf Of
          R.<br>
          Lindsay<br>
          I changed the front bearings on my BJ8 about 500 miles ago. Do
          need to<br>
          re-torc the nuts at some time soon or let it go?<br>
          Price Lindsay<br>
          67 BJ8<br>
        </sbyers@ec.rr.com><br>

--------------66BDAE2E8CB2E61E7721A073--