Re: [Healeys] Backfire in rebuilt engine with less than 500 miles

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Backfire in rebuilt engine with less than 500 miles
From: Kees Oudesluijs <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2021 17:20:24 +0100

--------------6EEF57EEA4B312358314D62A

Some parts like i.e. the distributor or carbs are taken of the engine
when it is rebuild and then after having lain on the shelf for months or
even years are put back on the engine the way they came off, without
resetting or cleaning.

In the distributor are the bob weights inside the body that regulate the
mechanical advance. These need regular maintenance (mostly forgotten) to
prevent them from corrosion and sticking. It is not seldom that these
get stuck or do not move freely which might be a cause for backfiring.
Also check the plugs and wires.

If the car is still on points check the dwell angle and points
condition. Also check the timing.

Kees Oudesluijs

Op 25-1-2021 om 15:57 schreef rfbegani@gmail.com:

> Listeners:
>
> I have been driving my 67 BJ8 since rebuilding and working on the rest
> of the car the past year.  After installing the new shock absorbers
> and the new speedo, I took the car for a ride.  With the new shocks
> and the new Shaved tires, she drives like brand new car down the
> Tamiami Trail at 50-70 mph, so I decided to push it a little more.
> However at 4000 plus rpms and about 90 mph, I was not looking so
> closely at the speedo or tack, the engine back fired, so I let off the
> gas and returned to normal highway speeds.  Engine ran fine all the
> way home. Suggestions what could cause the backfire at high speeds?
>
> Bob Begani

> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/coudesluijs@chello.nl

--------------6EEF57EEA4B312358314D62A

  <head>
      charset=windows-1252">
  </head>
      engine when it is rebuild and then after having lain on the shelf
      for months or even years are put back on the engine the way they
      came off, without resetting or cleaning. <br>
      regulate the mechanical advance. These need regular maintenance
      (mostly forgotten) to prevent them from corrosion and sticking. It
      is not seldom that these get stuck or do not move freely which
      might be a cause for backfiring. Also check the plugs and wires.</p>
      condition. Also check the timing.</p>
      <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:rfbegani@gmail.com";>rfbegani@gmail.com</a>:<br>
      cite="mid:02d201d6f32a$76260ef0$62722cd0$@gmail.com">
        charset=windows-1252">
        medium)">
        {font-family:"Cambria Math";
        panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}@font-face
        {font-family:Calibri;
        panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
        {margin:0in;
        font-size:11.0pt;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}span.EmailStyle17
        {mso-style-type:personal-compose;
        font-family:"Arial",sans-serif;
        color:windowtext;
        font-weight:normal;
        font-style:normal;}.MsoChpDefault
        {mso-style-type:export-only;
        font-size:10.0pt;}div.WordSection1
        {page:WordSection1;}</style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026" />
<o:shapelayout v:ext="edit">
<o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->

style="font-size:14.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif">Listeners:<o:p></o:p></span></p>

style="font-size:14.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif"><o:p> </o:p></span></p>
            style="font-size:14.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif">I
            have been driving my 67 BJ8 since rebuilding and working on
            the rest of the car the past year.  After installing the new
            shock absorbers and the new speedo, I took the car for a
            ride.  With the new shocks and the new Shaved tires, she
            drives like brand new car down the Tamiami Trail at 50-70
            mph, so I decided to push it a little more.  However at 4000
            plus rpms and about 90 mph, I was not looking so closely at
            the speedo or tack, the engine back fired, so I let off the
            gas and returned to normal highway speeds.  Engine ran fine
            all the way home. Suggestions what could cause the backfire
            at high speeds?<o:p></o:p></span></p>

style="font-size:14.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif"><o:p> </o:p></span></p>

style="font-size:14.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif">Bob
            Begani <o:p></o:p></span></p>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre"
wrap="">_______________________________________________

href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys";>http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a>