Re: [Healeys] Backfire in rebuilt engine with less than 500 miles

To: David P <frogeye@porterscustom.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Backfire in rebuilt engine with less than 500 miles
From: john harper <ah100tech@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2021 16:51:02 +0000
Cc: Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>

--0000000000008a34b405b9bc587a

David

It is possible that your fuel pump cannot quite keep up with the fuel
needed at this top limit. I don't know what pump you have fitted but the
square base version or the double version give a higher flow rate.

Before making major changes it might be worth checking that the pump has
the correct diaphragm travel.

On Mon, 25 Jan 2021 at 16:41, David P <frogeye@porterscustom.com> wrote:

> ..or a momentary loss of power to the fuel pump or delivery pressure.. or
> a sticking valve.. many possibilities..
> On 1/25/2021 9:20 AM, Kees Oudesluijs wrote:
>
> Some parts like i.e. the distributor or carbs are taken of the engine when
> it is rebuild and then after having lain on the shelf for months or even
> years are put back on the engine the way they came off, without resetting
> or cleaning.
>
> In the distributor are the bob weights inside the body that regulate the
> mechanical advance. These need regular maintenance (mostly forgotten) to
> prevent them from corrosion and sticking. It is not seldom that these get
> stuck or do not move freely which might be a cause for backfiring. Also
> check the plugs and wires.
>
> If the car is still on points check the dwell angle and points condition.
> Also check the timing.
>

> Kees Oudesluijs
>

> Op 25-1-2021 om 15:57 schreef rfbegani@gmail.com:
>
> Listeners:
>

> I have been driving my 67 BJ8 since rebuilding and working on the rest of
> the car the past year.  After installing the new shock absorbers and the
> new speedo, I took the car for a ride.  With the new shocks and the new
> Shaved tires, she drives like brand new car down the Tamiami Trail at 50-70
> mph, so I decided to push it a little more.  However at 4000 plus rpms and
> about 90 mph, I was not looking so closely at the speedo or tack, the
> engine back fired, so I let off the gas and returned to normal highway
> speeds.  Engine ran fine all the way home. Suggestions what could cause the
> backfire at high speeds?
>

> Bob Begani

> --
> Porter Custom Bicycles 2909 Arno St. NE Albuquerque, NM. 505-352-1378 My
> World go here: WWW.PORTERBIKES.COM/

> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/ah100tech@gmail.com

--0000000000008a34b405b9bc587a

p cannot quite keep up with the fuel needed at this top limit. I don&#39;t =
know what pump you have fitted=C2=A0but the square base version or the doub=
major changes it might be worth checking that the pump has the correct diap=
ass=3D"gmail_attr">On Mon, 25 Jan 2021 at 16:41, David P &lt;<a href=3D"mai=
lto:frogeye@porterscustom.com">frogeye@porterscustom.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br>=
order-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
 =20
   =20
 =20
      pressure.. or a sticking valve.. many possibilities..<br>
      wrote:<br>
     =20
        engine when it is rebuild and then after having lain on the
        shelf for months or even years are put back on the engine the
        way they came off, without resetting or cleaning. <br>
        regulate the mechanical advance. These need regular maintenance
        (mostly forgotten) to prevent them from corrosion and sticking.
        It is not seldom that these get stuck or do not move freely
        which might be a cause for backfiring. Also check the plugs and
        wires.</p>
        condition. Also check the timing.</p>
om" target=3D"_blank">rfbegani@gmail.com</a>:<br>
       =20
       =20
       =20
Arial,sans-serif">I
              have been driving my 67 BJ8 since rebuilding and working
              on the rest of the car the past year.=C2=A0 After installing
              the new shock absorbers and the new speedo, I took the car
              for a ride.=C2=A0 With the new shocks and the new Shaved tire=
s,
              she drives like brand new car down the Tamiami Trail at
              50-70 mph, so I decided to push it a little more.=C2=A0 Howev=
er
              at 4000 plus rpms and about 90 mph, I was not looking so
              closely at the speedo or tack, the engine back fired, so I
              let off the gas and returned to normal highway speeds.=C2=A0
              Engine ran fine all the way home. Suggestions what could
Arial,sans-serif">Bob
        <fieldset></fieldset>
        <pre>_______________________________________________
nk">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a>

Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys"; target=3D"_blank=
">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a> <a href=3D"http://autox.team.ne=
t/archive" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/archive</a>

eam.net</a>

s/coudesluijs@chello.nl" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/op=
tions/healeys/coudesluijs@chello.nl</a>

</pre>
      <fieldset></fieldset>
      <pre>_______________________________________________
nk">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a>

Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys"; target=3D"_blank=
">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a> <a href=3D"http://autox.team.ne=
t/archive" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/archive</a>

eam.net</a>

s/frogeye@porterscustom.com" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailma=
n/options/healeys/frogeye@porterscustom.com</a>

</pre>
    <pre cols=3D"72">--=20
Porter Custom Bicycles 2909 Arno St. NE Albuquerque, NM. 505-352-1378 My Wo=
rld go here: <a href=3D"http://WWW.PORTERBIKES.COM/"; target=3D"_blank">WWW.=
PORTERBIKES.COM/</a></pre>

rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys"; rel=3D"noreferre=