Re: [Healeys] Multimeter Question

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Multimeter Question
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2021 09:17:39 -0800

--------------A0DC85F05CDB080149B21359

re: "... What is going on here?  Why is the meter behaving this way?"

I'll take a SWAG (worth what you paid for it): Measuring DC current is
more difficult than measuring AC current, which is usually done with an
inductive pickup. Because DC doesn't create inductance--except
initially--it usually has to be measured inline; i.e. you have to break
the circuit and insert the leads between ends. I suspect the DVM passes
the current through a known-sized resistor, and measures voltage drop.
The DVMs I've seen/used can only measure a few milliamps, anything more
/could/ cause the meter to go bonkers, and just a few milliamps would
take more than a couple days to drain a fully-charged starting battery
(my Mustang has electrical stuff running even when 'off,' and I've gone
several weeks without a dead battery). Again, just a guess.

Bob

On 2/12/2021 4:52 AM, jim via Healeys wrote:
> not helping on meter question, but 12 volt lights with clip-leads
> attached will show current flow quite nicely....remove fuse...clip
> light bulb across removed fuse...if circuit is conducting current, the
> light bulb will "glow"    (simetimes called a "bug-lite" by the old
> Telephone Company Central-Office-Techs)
>

> Jim
>
> On Wednesday, February 10, 2021, 4:04:57 PM PST, llennep--- via
> Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net> wrote:
>

> Hello Listers,
> I am seeking to tap the knowledge of the list on this general auto matter.
> I bought a hot rod last year and from the get go I have had a battery
> drain.  If system is left on the batt will get too weak to start
> engine in a couple days or so.  Recently I have been chasing the
> problem in earnest.  I did find one issue and resolved that with the
> hope that the drain was fixed. No.  Still there.
> So yesterday I began preparing for the standard search method -
> pulling fuses one at a time and noting the drop in amps running
> through the system.  However I needed a dependable multimeter.  I have
> 3 but do not trust the amperage reading on any of them.  I secured a
> known good meter today and here is what I am observing.
> The reading starts out reading a few tenths amp fluctuating wildly and
> then drops to almost 0 in 2-3 seconds.  This happens time after time.
>  What is going on here?  Why is the meter behaving this way?
> Any help much appreciated.
> Keith

--------------A0DC85F05CDB080149B21359

  <head>
  </head>
    re: "... What is going on here?  Why is the meter behaving this
    way?"<br>
    I'll take a SWAG (worth what you paid for it): Measuring DC current
    is more difficult than measuring AC current, which is usually done
    with an inductive pickup. Because DC doesn't create
    inductance--except initially--it usually has to be measured inline;
    i.e. you have to break the circuit and insert the leads between
    ends. I suspect the DVM passes the current through a known-sized
    resistor, and measures voltage drop. The DVMs I've seen/used can
    only measure a few milliamps, anything more <i>could</i> cause the
    meter to go bonkers, and just a few milliamps would take more than a
    couple days to drain a fully-charged starting battery (my Mustang
    has electrical stuff running even when 'off,' and I've gone several
    weeks without a dead battery). Again, just a guess.<br>
    Bob<br>
      wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:1992481377.821668.1613134320693@mail.yahoo.com">
        Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px;">
          question, but 12 volt lights with clip-leads attached will
          show current flow quite nicely....remove fuse...clip light
          bulb across removed fuse...if circuit is conducting current,
          the light bulb will "glow"    (simetimes called a "bug-lite"
          by the old Telephone Company Central-Office-Techs)<br>
        class="ydpccfe006cyahoo_quoted">
          sans-serif;font-size:13px;color:#26282a;">
            llennep--- via Healeys <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
href="mailto:healeys@autox.team.net";>&lt;healeys@autox.team.net&gt;</a> wrote:
                normal; font-stretch: normal; font-size: 10pt;
                line-height: normal; font-family: arial;
                font-size-adjust: none;">Hello Listers,<span></span>
                  this general auto matter.</div>
                  have had a battery drain.  If system is left on the
                  batt will get too weak to start engine in a couple
                  days or so.  Recently I have been chasing the problem
                  in earnest.  I did find one issue and resolved that
                  with the hope that the drain was fixed. No.  Still
                  there.</div>
                  search method - pulling fuses one at a time and noting
                  the drop in amps running through the system.  However
                  I needed a dependable multimeter.  I have 3 but do not
                  trust the amperage reading on any of them.  I secured
                  a known good meter today and here is what I am
                  observing.</div>
                  fluctuating wildly and then drops to almost 0 in 2-3
                  seconds.  This happens time after time.  What is going
                  on here?  Why is the meter behaving this way?</div>

--------------A0DC85F05CDB080149B21359--

--===============7205763265830343914==