Re: [Healeys] "M" camshaft

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] "M" camshaft
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2021 09:23:46 -0800

--------------ADFD76B0D4A33B68812A20CC

Usually, a cam 'upgrade' goes along with other mods, higher compression,
headers, higher mixture delivery, timing curve change, etc. Michael
confirms the M cam doesn't cause drivability issues, but I don't think
you'd get much, if any, performance increase without the other mods. If
you put a really radical cam in an engine, you could get drivability
issues (it probably wouldn't idle very well, for one thing). Are you
thinking of installing one with a mind to do the other mods later?

Bob

On 2/12/2021 5:46 AM, Michael Salter wrote:
> I run an "M" cam and pistons in an otherwise stock engine and can
> report that there are no drive ability or tuning issues.
> Has plenty of power and overheating is only an issue when I get
> stopped in traffic immediately after a fast run.

> On Fri., Feb. 12, 2021, 8:28 a.m. S and T Miller via Healeys,
>
>     I was wondering what driving/ idle characteristics would be like
>     if a "M" camshaft was installed in a otherwise stock engine/ carb
>     setup? I lack knowledge of camshaft degrees, duration, and all
>     those technical details concerning camshafts, but I'm interested
>     in drivers seat impressions.  Seems "M" camshaft are more readily
>     available at the moment and for a much more reasonable price.
>
>     And to take it a step further,  what about a "M" camshaft and "M"
>     pistons with stock carb setup? Obviously driving the car prior to
>     sourcing the "M" carbs/intake. Just curious.
>     Thank you,  Shawn
>
>     The Millers
>
>     "Always drive them, but remember each drive in an antique car is a
>     test drive."

--------------ADFD76B0D4A33B68812A20CC

  <head>
  </head>
    Usually, a cam 'upgrade' goes along with other mods, higher
    compression, headers, higher mixture delivery, timing curve change,
    etc. Michael confirms the M cam doesn't cause drivability issues,
    but I don't think you'd get much, if any, performance increase
    without the other mods. If you put a really radical cam in an
    engine, you could get drivability issues (it probably wouldn't idle
    very well, for one thing). Are you thinking of installing one with a
    mind to do the other mods later?<br>
    Bob<br>
      wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CAB3i7LJOb9u32H9H6kbnwUJA1uRq--PvuaHY0rMfr3BwZtozVg@mail.gmail.com">
        engine and can report that there are no drive ability or tuning
        issues.
          issue when I get stopped in traffic immediately after a fast
          run.</div>
          a.m. S and T Miller via Healeys, &lt;<a
            href="mailto:healeys@autox.team.net";
moz-do-not-send="true">healeys@autox.team.net</a>&gt;
          wrote:<br>
          .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
              would be like if a "M" camshaft was installed in a
              otherwise stock engine/ carb setup? I lack knowledge of
              camshaft degrees, duration, and all those technical
              details concerning camshafts, but I'm interested in
              drivers seat impressions.  Seems "M" camshaft are more
              readily available at the moment and for a much more
              reasonable price.  </div>
              camshaft and "M" pistons with stock carb setup? Obviously
              driving the car prior to sourcing the "M" carbs/intake.
              Just curious. </div>
              "Always drive them, but remember each drive in an antique
              car is a test drive."<br>

--------------ADFD76B0D4A33B68812A20CC--

--===============9017217511574537277==