Re: [Healeys] overdrive problem

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] overdrive problem
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2021 07:26:10 -0700

--------------490DC8EA2DF6FCE131E2DF3F

Maybe of interest to some: AFAIK, all O/D accumulators came with metal
rings, which likely cause or at least contribute to scoring. One of the
Brit suppliers--probably AHS but I'm not sure--has an accumulator setup
that uses an O-ring(s) instead of metal rings, which should prevent
scoring. I rebuilt my O/D a couple years back, and if I'd known of the
O-ring type I would have installed it. Earlier O/Ds used metal rings in
the actuator pistons, but later ones had O-rings, and it's logical to
conclude LdeN went to O-rings there because of excessive scoring of the
cases (or, possibly, because they were cheaper).

On 3/26/2021 6:03 AM, Michael Salter via Healeys wrote:
> Time this question was put to bed.
> 1. The throttle switch is not supposed to disengage the overdrive if
> the dash switch is in the "OVERDRIVE" position. If it does the system
> is wired incorrectly. (BN1s are a little different)
> 2. Overdrives which slip out, slip, or won't engage WHEN HOT but do
> work when cold are invariably suffering from low oil pressure which is
> almost always caused by accumulator issues.  The "O" rings on the
> outside of the accumulator sleeve can be a problem but in my
> experience scoring of the accumulator bore and damage to the rings and
> piston are a more common cause.
> 3. Overdrives and gearboxes in Healeys are meant to be lubricated with
> engine oil. Decades ago I  wrote to Laycock DeNormanville, back when
> letters went in envelopes with stamps, and received a  response from
> their engineering department indicating clearly that the oil specified
> for their products was specified by the gearbox manufacturer and
> whatever they specified was acceptable for the overdrive.
>
> On Fri., Mar. 26, 2021, 2:13 a.m. WILLIAM B LAWRENCE via Healeys,
>
>     The symptoms Iâ??ve seen and experienced are that the OD will engage
>     and function until the oil temp comes up and the viscosity drops
>     off and will then fail. I suppose it depends on the degree of
>     degradation of the o-rings.

  <head>
  </head>
    Maybe of interest to some: AFAIK, all O/D accumulators came with
    metal rings, which likely cause or at least contribute to scoring.
    One of the Brit suppliers--probably AHS but I'm not sure--has an
    accumulator setup that uses an O-ring(s) instead of metal rings,
    which should prevent scoring. I rebuilt my O/D a couple years back,
    and if I'd known of the O-ring type I would have installed it.
    Earlier O/Ds used metal rings in the actuator pistons, but later
    ones had O-rings, and it's logical to conclude LdeN went to O-rings
    there because of excessive scoring of the cases (or, possibly,
    because they were cheaper).<br>
      via Healeys wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CAB3i7L+N-4edz+07Ym74Szb--8tvfX93vBVmr2DTbE5nZCN5mg@mail.gmail.com">
          disengage the overdrive if the dash switch is in the
          "OVERDRIVE" position. If it does the system is wired
          incorrectly. (BN1s are a little different)</div>
          engage WHEN HOT but do work when cold are invariably suffering
          from low oil pressure which is almost always caused by
          accumulator issues.  The "O" rings on the outside of the
          accumulator sleeve can be a problem but in my experience
          scoring of the accumulator bore and damage to the rings and
          piston are a more common cause.</div>
          to be lubricated with engine oil. Decades ago I  wrote to
          Laycock DeNormanville, back when letters went in envelopes
          with stamps, and received a  response from their engineering
          department indicating clearly that the oil specified for their
          products was specified by the gearbox manufacturer and
          whatever they specified was acceptable for the overdrive.</div>
          a.m. WILLIAM B LAWRENCE via Healeys, &lt;<a
            href="mailto:healeys@autox.team.net";
moz-do-not-send="true">healeys@autox.team.net</a>&gt;
          wrote:<br>
          .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
              will engage and function until the oil temp comes up and
              the viscosity drops off and will then fail. I suppose it
              depends on the degree of degradation of the o-rings.</div>
            <hr style="display:inline-block;width:98%">
                style="font-size:11pt" face="Calibri, sans-serif"
                color="#000000"><b>From:</b> Healeys &lt;<a
                  href="mailto:healeys-bounces@autox.team.net";
                  target="_blank" rel="noreferrer"
                  moz-do-not-send="true">healeys-bounces@autox.team.net</a>&gt;
                on behalf of Bob Spidell &lt;<a
                  href="mailto:bspidell@comcast.net"; target="_blank"
                  rel="noreferrer"
moz-do-not-send="true">bspidell@comcast.net</a>&gt;<br>
                <b>To:</b> <a href="mailto:healeys@autox.team.net";
                  target="_blank" rel="noreferrer"
                  moz-do-not-send="true">healeys@autox.team.net</a> &lt;<a
                  href="mailto:healeys@autox.team.net"; target="_blank"
                  rel="noreferrer"
moz-do-not-send="true">healeys@autox.team.net</a>&gt;<br>
              engaging in the first place? Just guessing, but wouldn't a
              deficient pump cause same symptoms?<br>
                wrote:<br>
                  not supposed to kick down automatically. The most
                  common fault that causes the OD to drop out is faulty
                  o-rings on the accumulator sleeve. This wonâ??t allow
                  the OD to build full operating pressure.</div>
                <hr style="display:inline-block;width:98%">
                    style="font-size:11pt" face="Calibri, sans-serif"
                    color="#000000"><b>From:</b> Healeys
                      target="_blank" rel="noreferrer"

moz-do-not-send="true">&lt;healeys-bounces@autox.team.net&gt;</a>
                    on behalf of Kees Oudesluijs via Healeys
                      target="_blank" rel="noreferrer"

moz-do-not-send="true">&lt;healeys@autox.team.net&gt;</a><br>
                      healeys@autox.team.net</a> <a
                      href="mailto:healeys@autox.team.net";
                      target="_blank" rel="noreferrer"
                      moz-do-not-send="true">
                      &lt;healeys@autox.team.net&gt;</a><br>
                        accelerating hard, Kick down!!<br>
                        Kees Oudesluijs<br>
                        Op 23-3-2021 om 01:06 schreef healeymanjim via
                        Healeys:<br>
                        &gt; friends BT7 had o/d quit.  solenoid was bad
                        so replaced it.  now it will go into o/d but pop
                        out when accelerating.   any<br>
                        &gt; ideas what the cause is and the fix?<br>

--------------490DC8EA2DF6FCE131E2DF3F--

--===============3070504535677453796==