Re: [Healeys] Rear brake adjustment

To: Roger Grace <roggrace@telus.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Rear brake adjustment
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2021 21:09:04 -0700
Cc: Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>

--------------6193710196272176CAD371E9

One more thing ...

I've never liked the little felt bushes that go on the end of the shoe
standoffs; they deteriorate as soon as they're installed (and are
usually a gooey mess when you replace them). But, I ordered a set from
Tom's Import Toys, but instead Tom sent some fiber tubing cut into short
pieces. These fit perfectly and firmly over the standoffs, and you can
place a little grease on the end and expect it to stay there. I don't
know a source, the tubing looks like it could be small fuel line, but
it's only fiber with no rubber or other lining.

Bob

On 3/30/2021 8:40 PM, Roger Grace wrote:
> [...]
>>         plate
>>         (hooks up). This way the cylinder would slide smoothly and
>>         easily, which
>>         makes sense because there is less contact area, but the
>>         rubber boot,
>>         which is beveled on the inner part fit naturally under the
>>         flat plate
>>         and would stay in place when vigorously sliding the cylinder
>>         back-and-forth. Contact surfaces were lightly greased.
>>
>>         Short answer: the cylinder should slide smoothly and easily;
>>         otherwise
>>         the self-energizing feature could be defeated, and the
>>         cylinder could be
>>         stuck in the expanded position, which could explain your
>>         non-retracting
>>         problem.
>>
>>         Bob
>>

>>         On 3/29/2021 3:07 PM, Roger Grace via Healeys wrote:
>>         > BJ8 ph2.
>>         > I am Struggling to get consistent results for rear brake
>>         shoe adjustment.
>>         > All part of a project to get handbrake working properly -
>>         currently it
>>         > is almost vertical.
>>         > Background:
>>         > New shoes, slaves and springs etc with less than 4k mi.
>>         Almost no sign
>>         > of any wear yet.
>>         > Handbrake lever clevis pins removed.
>>         > Steady post adjusted so the peg just touches when brakes
>>         are adjusted
>>         > tight.
>>         > Then the adjustment set so you can just hear/feel slight
>>         brake drag.
>>         > All OK so far.
>>         >
>>         > Here is the problem:
>>         > When the handbrake lever is pushed with screwdriver or my
>>         hand it
>>         > moves with initial free play then clamps the shoes as it
>>         should.
>>         > However  when released brakes do not fully retract, and
>>         shoes bind and
>>         > not at  the same setting that started off with.
>>         > Same story with using the hydraulics; seems to hang up, in
>>         not quite
>>         > the off position. Both wheels are the same.
>>         > Shoes can be "reset"  to original setting by rattling the
>>         adjuster
>>         > back and forth in  the freeplay zone.
>>         > All looks fine when drum is off and you can see the shoe
>>         operation.
>>         >
>>         > My thoughts :
>>         > I observe that the new springs actually touch the inside of
>>         the shoes ?
>>         > Maybe some grease there ? Is this interference normal ?
>>         > Is it possible to incorrectly assemble the shoes/springs ?
>>         > See photo of RR.
>>         > I note that the slave is tight on the back plate. How tight
>>         is normal
>>         > floating ?
>>         > Maybe I assembled the slave cylinder clips incorrectly ?

  <head>
  </head>
    One more thing ...<br>
    I've never liked the little felt bushes that go on the end of the
    shoe standoffs; they deteriorate as soon as they're installed (and
    are usually a gooey mess when you replace them). But, I ordered a
    set from Tom's Import Toys, but instead Tom sent some fiber tubing
    cut into short pieces. These fit perfectly and firmly over the
    standoffs, and you can place a little grease on the end and expect
    it to stay there. I don't know a source, the tubing looks like it
    could be small fuel line, but it's only fiber with no rubber or
    other lining. <br>
    Bob<br>
      wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CALPtYiNq75JGezS_yCBRGQa4vc46n9auknvR=zsgfhUNUrpUSQ@mail.gmail.com">
          out and the plates reversed as you did the first time.<br>
          that this issue ( tricky) is not given much coverage here -
          compared to say what oil to use in your OD !</div>
          hyd. pipe to avoid bleeding but not possible to get the brake
          lever dislodged. <br>
          PM Bob Spidell &lt;<a href="mailto:bspidell@comcast.net";
            target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true">bspidell@comcast.net</a>&gt;
          wrote:<br>
          0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
            with 80s soundtrack and modern 'shaky cam'). Pic shows the
            bevel on the dust cover that I think proves this is the
            correct order of installation.<br>
            Here's the sequence of installation that caused me the least
            frustration:<br>
            1) LIGHTLY grease all moving/sliding parts, including the
            adjuster cam and spreaders and the shaft that the handbrake
            lever pivots on<br>
            2) Insert cylinder into its slot<br>
            3) Slide the spring plate, with hooks pointed toward the
            diff, into the slot on the cylinder from above as manual
            shows<br>
            4) Insert the handbrake lever through its slot on the
            backplate from the outside<br>
            5) Lift the cylinder a little with a screwdriver and slide
            the handbrake pivot shaft into its notches on the cylinder
            (the spring plate allows this)<br>
            6) Start working the flat retaining plate with the notches
            into the slot on the cylinder on top of the spring plate. I
            tapped it in; it would help if someone held the handbrake
            lever out in its actuated state to prevent the spring plate
            from retreating from the flat plate (it might be possible to
            squeeze them together with a large set of channellocks).
            Make sure the little hooks on the spring plate engage the
            notches on the flat plate.<br>
            7) Work the rubber boot/dust cover over the handbrake lever
            and around and under the retaining plates, with the beveled
            edge sliding under the plates (see vid).<br>
            8) Wipe off any excess grease (it doesn't go well with brake
            material)<br>
            Credit where due: I'm often (always) disappointed with the
            quality of aftermarket rubber products, but the dust covers
            I got from Moss are not only molded and cut perfectly, but
            seem to be made of a tough rubber that should actually hold
            up (it's almost a soft plastic).<br>
            Bob<br>
            ps. This is as much for my benefit, as I seem to have to do
            this job every decade or so, and have to start from scratch
            procedure-wise every time.<br>
                  explanation. As you say it is a bear of a job and just
                  working up some stamina to tackle it again !</div>
                  at 10:38 PM Bob Spidell &lt;<a
                    href="mailto:bspidell@comcast.net"; target="_blank"
                    moz-do-not-send="true">bspidell@comcast.net</a>&gt;
                  wrote:<br>
                  0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid
                  rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">re: "I note that
                  the slave is tight on the back plate. How tight is <br>
                  normal floating ?"<br>
                  I just spent several hours on my back on a greasy
                  floor working on my <br>
                  BN2's rear drums. I didn't see any text in the shop
                  manual explaining <br>
                  installation; most I found was a pic in the Moss
                  catalog showing that <br>
                  the curved spring, with the 'hooks,' should be
                  installed above the <br>
                  cylinder (between the cylinder and the handbrake
                  lever). First, I <br>
                  installed the flat plate against the backing plate
                  with the spring plate <br>
                  on top of it. Not only would the cylinder not move
                  freely--which enables <br>
                  the self-energizing aspect of the brakes--but the
                  rubber dust boot had <br>
                  nothing to hold it in place. I then reversed the
                  installation; i.e. the <br>
                  spring plate was still above the cylinder, but under
                  the flat plate <br>
                  (hooks up). This way the cylinder would slide smoothly
                  and easily, which <br>
                  makes sense because there is less contact area, but
                  the rubber boot, <br>
                  which is beveled on the inner part fit naturally under
                  the flat plate <br>
                  and would stay in place when vigorously sliding the
                  cylinder <br>
                  back-and-forth. Contact surfaces were lightly greased.<br>
                  Short answer: the cylinder should slide smoothly and
                  easily; otherwise <br>
                  the self-energizing feature could be defeated, and the
                  cylinder could be <br>
                  stuck in the expanded position, which could explain
                  your non-retracting <br>
                  problem.<br>
                  Bob<br>
                  On 3/29/2021 3:07 PM, Roger Grace via Healeys wrote:<br>
                  &gt; BJ8 ph2.<br>
                  &gt; I am Struggling to get consistent results for
                  rear brake shoe adjustment.<br>
                  &gt; All part of a project to get handbrake working
                  properly - currently it <br>
                  &gt; is almost vertical.<br>
                  &gt; Background:<br>
                  &gt; New shoes, slaves and springs etc with less than
                  4k mi. Almost no sign <br>
                  &gt; of any wear yet.<br>
                  &gt; Handbrake lever clevis pins removed.<br>
                  &gt; Steady post adjusted so the peg just touches when
                  brakes are adjusted <br>
                  &gt; tight.<br>
                  &gt; Then the adjustment set so you can just hear/feel
                  slight brake drag.<br>
                  &gt; All OK so far.<br>
                  &gt;<br>
                  &gt; Here is the problem:<br>
                  &gt; When the handbrake lever is pushed with
                  screwdriver or my hand it <br>
                  &gt; moves with initial free play then clamps the
                  shoes as it should.  <br>
                  &gt; However  when released brakes do not fully
                  retract, and shoes bind and <br>
                  &gt; not at  the same setting that started off with.<br>
                  &gt; Same story with using the hydraulics; seems to
                  hang up, in not quite <br>
                  &gt; the off position. Both wheels are the same.<br>
                  &gt; Shoes can be "reset"  to original setting by
                  rattling the adjuster <br>
                  &gt; back and forth in  the freeplay zone.<br>
                  &gt; All looks fine when drum is off and you can see
                  the shoe operation.<br>
                  &gt;<br>
                  &gt; My thoughts :<br>
                  &gt; I observe that the new springs actually touch the
                  inside of the shoes ?<br>
                  &gt; Maybe some grease there ? Is this interference
                  normal ?<br>
                  &gt; Is it possible to incorrectly assemble the
                  shoes/springs ?<br>
                  &gt; See photo of RR.<br>
                  &gt; I note that the slave is tight on the back plate.
                  How tight is normal <br>
                  &gt; floating ?<br>
                  &gt; Maybe I assembled the slave cylinder clips
                  incorrectly ?<br>
                  &gt;<br>
                  &gt; All  suggestions appreciated<br>
                  &gt; rg<br>