Re: [Healeys] BJ8---clutch and "SS" aka--scuttle shake

To: Tom Felts <tomfelts@windstream.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] BJ8---clutch and "SS" aka--scuttle shake
From: Alan Seigrist <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2021 20:16:19 +0800
Cc: healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>

--000000000000de6cf705c6afbde2

Also scuttle shake at that speed often can be caused by a bouncing tire due
to worn shocks

On Thu, 8 Jul 2021 at 9:01 PM, Tom Felts <tomfelts@windstream.net> wrote:

> Recently (maybe 6 months ago) I installed a new clutch disc and TOB.  (PP
> looked good so didn't add a new one)  Shifts great but when starting the
> car even with it out of gear, it "groans" a second or so when the engine
> starts but goes away and I would only hear it at times when I down
> shifted.  Once hot I never heard it.  Then--------I took a 600 mile trip
> over the last two days.  I began to hear it more and at different
> times---Pushing the clutch in, starting the car and downshifting.  Several
> times I heard what sounded like a "ping" when I pressed the cutch pedal.
>
> I have a hunch it is the PP-----could be one of the fingers got bent when
> installing??  Otherwise, I have no idea.
>
> Second------for the years I have had this car, I have hated the dreaded
> scuttle shake.  I have balanced all wheels--even added the scuttle shake
> "mod"  (cross beams on the inner body, behind the engine) and had the rear
> drums balanced locally.  All to no avail-----between 55 and 65 there is
> comes again!!  The drive was wonderful all the while as long as I drove
> slower or faster than these speeds.
>
> What to do------what to do???
>
> Any thoughts would be appreciated.
> Tom

> Unsubscribe/Manage:

--000000000000de6cf705c6afbde2

lts &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:tomfelts@windstream.net";>tomfelts@windstream.net<=
/a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0=
 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div><div>Recently (=
maybe 6 months ago) I installed a new clutch disc and TOB.=C2=A0 (PP looked=
 good so didn&#39;t add a new one)=C2=A0 Shifts great but when starting the=
 car even with it out of gear, it &quot;groans&quot; a second or so when th=
e engine starts but goes away and I would only hear it at times when I down=
 shifted.=C2=A0 Once hot I never heard it.=C2=A0 Then--------I took a 600 m=
ile trip over the last two days.=C2=A0 I began to hear it more and at diffe=
rent times---Pushing the clutch in, starting the car and downshifting.=C2=
=A0 Several times I heard what sounded like a &quot;ping&quot; when I press=
--could be one of the fingers got bent when installing??=C2=A0 Otherwise, I=
d this car, I have hated the dreaded scuttle shake.=C2=A0 I have balanced a=
ll wheels--even added the scuttle shake &quot;mod&quot;=C2=A0 (cross beams =
on the inner body, behind the engine) and had the rear drums balanced local=
ly.=C2=A0 All to no avail-----between 55 and 65 there is comes again!!=C2=
=A0 The drive was wonderful all the while as long as I drove slower or fast=
____________________________________________<br>
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys"; rel=3D"noreferre=
r" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a> <a href=3D"h=