Re: [Healeys] Brake Fluid -- Silicone vs. glycol

To: bluehealey <bluehealey@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Brake Fluid -- Silicone vs. glycol
From: Roger Grace via Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2021 13:25:15 -0700
Cc: Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>

--000000000000b410b005c80c8d9c

Does anyone have an opinion as to the accuracy of those cheepo pen style
brake fluid moisture detectors ?
You dip the probes into the reservoir and they give led indication for
range % moisture present.
Just wondering ... ??
rg

On Mon, Jul 26, 2021 at 4:55 AM bluehealey <bluehealey@gmail.com> wrote:

> Now that is a perfect checklist Simon. Captures everything you need to
> know.
> In addition I work on the basis that glycol mixtures, if neglected (not
> flushed) for more than 3-4 years, can cause minor problems with the
> hardware.
> Silicone, if neglected for a similar period, can cause major problems wit=
> the hardware.
> Guess which I choose to use.
>
> AlanB - iPhone message.
>
> > On 26 Jul 2021, at 09:57, Simon Lachlan via Healeys <
> healeys@autox.team.net> wrote:
> >
> > =EF=BB=BF
> >
> > I was getting myself in a muddle over brake fluid once so I made myself
> some
> > notes. Probably pinched from Google; I don't recall:-
> >
> > 1)    All brake fluid is "synthetic".it's not a "natural" product.
> > 2)    Most synthetic fluids are NOT silicone. They are polyethylene
> glycol
> > ether based.
> > 3)    DOT 3 & 4, which can be mixed, are not silicone. They are glycol.
> > 4)    DOT 5, which cannot be mixed with 3 or 4, is silicone. Can't be
> > mixed with anything!
> > 5)    DOT 5.1 is glycol based and cannot be mixed with DOT 5.
> > 6)    DOT 5.1 can be mixed with DOT 3 or 4, as both are glycol based.
> >
> > The word "synthetic" began to appear when manufacturers worked out that
> it
> > made regular brake fluid sound more special ie they could charge us mor=
> > money for the same old stuff.
> >
> > DOT stands for Dept. Of Transport and relates to the fluids' boiling
> points.
> > If a car brakes at high speed, the brakes get hot. Some heat is carried
> away
> > from the brakes by the brake fluid. Bad news if the fluid boils! The
> faster
> > you're going, the higher DOT you need. Higher DOT numbers indicate high=
er
> > boiling points for "Dry" fluid (has not absorbed any water) and "Wet"
> fluids
> > (has absorbed water). ie, the wetter it is, the more problematic it
> becomes.
> > Mixing 3 with 4 lowers the boiling points and vice verca.

> > Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/bluehealey@gmail.com

> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/roggrace@telus.net

--000000000000b410b005c80c8d9c

se cheepo pen style brake fluid moisture detectors ?</div><div>You dip the =
probes into the reservoir and they give led indication for range % moisture=
div class=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Mon, Jul=
 26, 2021 at 4:55 AM bluehealey &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:bluehealey@gmail.com"=
ote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,20=
4);padding-left:1ex">Now that is a perfect checklist Simon. Captures everyt=
hing you need to know. <br>
In addition I work on the basis that glycol mixtures, if neglected (not flu=
shed) for more than 3-4 years, can cause minor problems with the hardware. =
Silicone, if neglected for a similar period, can cause major problems with =
the hardware. <br>
Guess which I choose to use. <br>
AlanB - iPhone message.<br>
&gt; On 26 Jul 2021, at 09:57, Simon Lachlan via Healeys &lt;<a href=3D"mai=
lto:healeys@autox.team.net" target=3D"_blank">healeys@autox.team.net</a>&gt=
; wrote:<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; =EF=BB=BF<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; I was getting myself in a muddle over brake fluid once so I made mysel=
f some<br>
&gt; notes. Probably pinched from Google; I don&#39;t recall:-<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; 1)=C2=A0 =C2=A0 All brake fluid is &quot;synthetic&quot;.it&#39;s not =
a &quot;natural&quot; product.<br>
&gt; 2)=C2=A0 =C2=A0 Most synthetic fluids are NOT silicone. They are polye=
thylene glycol<br>
&gt; ether based.<br>
&gt; 3)=C2=A0 =C2=A0 DOT 3 &amp; 4, which can be mixed, are not silicone. T=
hey are glycol.<br>
&gt; 4)=C2=A0 =C2=A0 DOT 5, which cannot be mixed with 3 or 4, is silicone.=
 Can&#39;t be<br>
&gt; mixed with anything!<br>
&gt; 5)=C2=A0 =C2=A0 DOT 5.1 is glycol based and cannot be mixed with DOT 5=
.<br>
&gt; 6)=C2=A0 =C2=A0 DOT 5.1 can be mixed with DOT 3 or 4, as both are glyc=
ol based.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; The word &quot;synthetic&quot; began to appear when manufacturers work=
ed out that it<br>
&gt; made regular brake fluid sound more special ie they could charge us mo=
re<br>
&gt; money for the same old stuff.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; DOT stands for Dept. Of Transport and relates to the fluids&#39; boili=
ng points.<br>
&gt; If a car brakes at high speed, the brakes get hot. Some heat is carrie=
d away<br>
&gt; from the brakes by the brake fluid. Bad news if the fluid boils! The f=
aster<br>
&gt; you&#39;re going, the higher DOT you need. Higher DOT numbers indicate=
 higher<br>
&gt; boiling points for &quot;Dry&quot; fluid (has not absorbed any water) =
and &quot;Wet&quot; fluids<br>
&gt; (has absorbed water). ie, the wetter it is, the more problematic it be=
comes.<br>
&gt; Mixing 3 with 4 lowers the boiling points and vice verca.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Support Team.Net <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html"; rel=3D"no=
referrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
&gt; Suggested annual donation=C2=A0 $12.75<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys"; rel=3D"nore=
ferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a> <a href=
=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive"; rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">htt=