Re: [Healeys] Ash Tray

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Ash Tray
From: Bob Spidell via Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2021 08:11:27 -0800

--------------5QfqGlh1AMZy2Tpxnr1Efel0

I can't say definitively, but a) I've never seen a Healey not fitted
with an ash tray and b) ash trays were installed on all cars, at least
for the American market, until a decade or so ago; carpet only covering
the hole would have been awkward. I usually keep a few quarters for
meter in mine, and sometimes a spare fuse or two.

'Cigar lighters' were, I believe, an option; the replacement harness for
my BJ8 I bought came with a wire lead (brown) for a cigar lighter which,
unfortunately I didn't properly insulate and it let some smoke out.

On 11/15/2021 3:26 AM, Simon Lachlan via Healeys wrote:

> I determined, with your help, that I have an original tunnel cover for
> my BT7 MkII. Fibre glass, centre change box.
>
> Some of you pointed out peculiarities concerning the ash tray fitting.
>
> Iâ??ll be getting a new tunnel cover carpet and, as these seem to be
> more or less bespoke, Iâ??m wondering whether to keep the ash tray or
> fibre glass over the square hole.
>
> Did all original tunnel covers come with a hole fitted for ash trays?
>
> And thus some had the ash tray actually fitted and some had the hole
> carpeted over?
>
> Or what?
>
> Was the ash tray an optional extra which, in fact, was fitted to most
> cars. Like wire wheelsâ?¦..
>
> Nobody will ever smoke in my car. I just use the ash tray for spare
> fuses, valve caps and the likeâ?¦.
>
> Iâ??ll have to let the carpet people know one way or the other.
>
> Simon

--------------5QfqGlh1AMZy2Tpxnr1Efel0

  <head>
  </head>
    I can't say definitively, but a) I've never seen a Healey not fitted
    with an ash tray and b) ash trays were installed on all cars, at
    least for the American market, until a decade or so ago; carpet only
    covering the hole would have been awkward. I usually keep a few
    quarters for meter in mine, and sometimes a spare fuse or two.<br>
    'Cigar lighters' were, I believe, an option; the replacement harness
    for my BJ8 I bought came with a wire lead (brown) for a cigar
    lighter which, unfortunately I didn't properly insulate and it let
    some smoke out.<br>
      via Healeys wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:001e01d7da13$b34f2020$19ed6060$@alexarevel.plus.com">
        medium)">
        {font-family:"Cambria Math";
        panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}@font-face
        {font-family:Calibri;
        panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
        {margin:0cm;
        margin-bottom:.0001pt;
        font-size:11.0pt;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
        mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
        {mso-style-priority:99;
        color:#0563C1;
        text-decoration:underline;}a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
        {mso-style-priority:99;
        color:#954F72;
        text-decoration:underline;}span.EmailStyle17
        {mso-style-type:personal-compose;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
        color:windowtext;}.MsoChpDefault
        {mso-style-type:export-only;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
        mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}div.WordSection1
        {page:WordSection1;}</style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026" />
<o:shapelayout v:ext="edit">
<o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
          an original tunnel cover for my BT7 MkII. Fibre glass, centre
          change box.<o:p></o:p></p>
          concerning the ash tray fitting. <o:p></o:p></p>
          and, as these seem to be more or less bespoke, Iâ??m wondering
          whether to keep the ash tray or fibre glass over the square
          hole.<o:p></o:p></p>
          hole fitted for ash trays? <o:p></o:p></p>
          fitted and some had the hole carpeted over?<o:p></o:p></p>
          in fact, was fitted to most cars. Like wire wheelsâ?¦..<o:p></o:p></p>
          use the ash tray for spare fuses, valve caps and the
likeâ?¦.<o:p></o:p></p>
          way or the other.<o:p></o:p></p>
--------------5QfqGlh1AMZy2Tpxnr1Efel0--

--===============7717052349156475346==