Re: [Healeys] Quick Jack installed on frame.

To: i erbs <eyera3000@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Quick Jack installed on frame.
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2021 09:10:24 -0800
Cc: Ahealey help <healeys@autox.team.net>

--------------rY6SJ0aFL5YtOXrTE3AA6g3S

IIRC, not sure, that it said that in my 2008 Mustang's shop manual. I
think that car had the usual iron (steel?) differential housing, but the
tubes to the rear wheels were steel tubes pressed into the pumpkin. I
can see how that could be problematic--esp. if the weight of the wheels,
brakes, etc. was suspended--but I did it several times and the car was
fine when I traded it in at about 124K miles, with the original clutch
and brakes. Healey rear axles, I think, are solid iron so probably not
an issue with them.

On 12/13/2021 8:39 AM, i erbs wrote:
> I'm interested in comments about " I read somewhere that jacking the
> pumpkin on live axle cars was a not good idea"
> I've done this for almost 50 years on my car and others without any
> apparent issues. Have been lucky?
> I have a quick jack, but have not yet used it with my Healey. I'm
> about to use it on my wife's 67 MGB,  then my car.
> Cheers
>
> Ira Erbs
> 1959 AH 100-6
> 1967 MGB
> Milwaukie, OR
>
> On Mon, Dec 13, 2021, 8:09 AM Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>     I wouldn't (yes, I use a QuickJack).  I think the QJ even deforms
>     the chassis rails a bit, and they're stronger than outriggers and
>     rockers. Maybe someone with a 'real' lift can chime in on this?
>
>     Modern 'unibody' cars have specific jacking points, and I suspect
>     putting lifts elsewhere /could /deform the under-body panels. I
>     recently did a wheel alignment on my BN2, and using the QJ was
>     indispensable, essentially trial-and-error: lots of lift, set,
>     check, drive, lift, set check, drive ...
>
>     I have a grease pit for jobs 'on wheels.' I almost filled it in
>     after my dad died--I'm sure it would be illegal these days--but
>     it's just /SO/ useful, but I spent a half-day building new covers
>     for it.
>
>     Bob
>
>     ps. I read somewhere that jacking the pumpkin on live axle cars
>     was a not good idea, though I've done it for years and not had any
>     issues that I know of. I suspect it could bend the tubes going to
>     the wheels.

--------------rY6SJ0aFL5YtOXrTE3AA6g3S

  <head>
  </head>
    IIRC, not sure, that it said that in my 2008 Mustang's shop manual.
    I think that car had the usual iron (steel?) differential housing,
    but the tubes to the rear wheels were steel tubes pressed into the
    pumpkin. I can see how that could be problematic--esp. if the weight
    of the wheels, brakes, etc. was suspended--but I did it several
    times and the car was fine when I traded it in at about 124K miles,
    with the original clutch and brakes. Healey rear axles, I think, are
    solid iron so probably not an issue with them.<br>
cite="mid:CABXhz8_mn1ouKZ4ycohQXszPbT5qtmiyZ=1=eE-JgeYo-jfoFw@mail.gmail.com">
          style="font-size:12.8px"> I read somewhere that jacking the
          pumpkin on live axle cars was a not good idea"</span>
            for almost 50 years on my car and others without any
            apparent issues. Have been lucky?</span></div>
            jack, but have not yet used it with my Healey. I'm about to
            use it on my wife's 67 MGB,  then my car.</span></div>
            1959 AH 100-6<br>
            1967 MGB<br>
            Milwaukie, OR</div>
          Bob Spidell &lt;<a href="mailto:bspidell@comcast.net";
            moz-do-not-send="true"
class="moz-txt-link-freetext">bspidell@comcast.net</a>&gt;
          wrote:<br>
          .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
            even deforms the chassis rails a bit, and they're stronger
            than outriggers and rockers. Maybe someone with a 'real'
            lift can chime in on this?<br>
            Modern 'unibody' cars have specific jacking points, and I
            suspect putting lifts elsewhere <i>could </i>deform the
            under-body panels. I recently did a wheel alignment on my
            BN2, and using the QJ was indispensable, essentially
            trial-and-error: lots of lift, set, check, drive, lift, set
            check, drive ... <br>
            I have a grease pit for jobs 'on wheels.' I almost filled it
            in after my dad died--I'm sure it would be illegal these
            days--but it's just <i>SO</i> useful, but I spent a
            half-day building new covers for it.<br>
            Bob<br>
            ps. I read somewhere that jacking the pumpkin on live axle
            cars was a not good idea, though I've done it for years and
            not had any issues that I know of. I suspect it could bend
            the tubes going to the wheels.<br>
--------------rY6SJ0aFL5YtOXrTE3AA6g3S--

--===============4755767108520227301==