[Healeys] Healey Memories---more about the kindness of bygone days

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: [Healeys] Healey Memories---more about the kindness of bygone days
From: RCobb <rcobb@sonic.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 16:24:09 -0800
This is auto-related, but my AH didn't arrive in my life for another 15
years:

The Time: Midnight, Dec. 28, 1968

The Place: Woodland, CA, USA  (aka..."The Twilight Zone")

The scene: A rural highway stop light, waiting for it to turn green in
order to complete the final 100 miles returning to my parents' home
following a several-hundred-mile jaunt to visit a college friend over
Christmas break.  Driving a borrowed '66 Mustang.

Action: In the midst of heavy Central CA tule fog, while at the stop
light, billowing steam begins coming from under the hood.

I turned at the traffic light and ended up on the main drag of
Woodland.  There was only one gas station open, with one employee
present.  He was an over-the-road trucker, taking a week or two off,
during the holidays.

Being on the main drag, and being the only gas station open, cruisers
were very visible in the street, making U-turns through the station, to
head back up the street.  This of course, caused the gong to sound, each
time a car passed over the pneumatic hoses laid-out to notify staff that
a customer had pulled-in.

At that point in my life, the most I had ever done, auto-mechanics-wise
was change the oil in a car, so I was no help in diagnosing or
correcting the problem, which most of you recognize as a bad water pump.

The mechanic, being the only one on duty was having to divide his time
between pumping gas and working on the Mustang...which seriously
prolonged the experience.

By this time it was at least 1 am.  Fortunately, for me, the mechanic
knew how to reach the parts manager for the local Ford dealership and
called him.  He came down to the dealership, picked up the water pump
and delivered it to us!

Within about another hour, I was on my way, marveling that a water pump
was as readily available in this small town...in the middle of the night.