Re: [Healeys] Another O/D issue

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Another O/D issue
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2022 20:21:47 -0700

--------------o04O0R5og8HQzwAejlQLtvUS

The switch may be pipe thread, but you set its depth with shims (which
are just fiber washers), part# 134 in this diagram:

https://mossmotors.com/external-gearbox-4-speed-side-shift

The lever on the shift rod (#94) bumps the switch; it only presses
against the switch, closing its contacts, in 3rd & 4th. Pushing the
lever to the right pushes the shift rod to the left into the switch. If
you have a 'shim' under the switch, removing it, or putting a thinner
one in, should solve the problem (the tip of the switch has limited
travel, you don't want to jam it into the switch). If not, you'll need a
new switch (contacts worn, maybe). Least likely, but not impossible, is
a worn shift rod (they're brass).

On 6/15/2022 7:33 PM, m.g.sharp@sympatico.ca wrote:

> Hi listers, I am finding that my BT7 (i.e. sideshifter) is dropping
> out of overdrive if I wiggle the shift lever to the left.  This is
> without doubt opening the contact in the gearbox switch that only
> permits the O/D to operate in 3^rd and 4^th thus causing the O/D to
> disengage.  Pushing the lever to the right re-engages it. I do not
> recall any adjustment on the switch to screw it in further, in fact I
> think it is a pipe thread and will only go in so far.  I am not sure
> what part of the shift lever actually bears on the end of the switch
> to engage it.  The workshop manual is not much help in figuring it
> out.  Is it the switch or is it what ever it bears on when in 3^rd or
> 4^th ?   I have not had the gâ??box cover off to look at it yet but
> thought Iâ??d ask the list if anyone had encountered this.
>
> Thoughts and ideas?

--------------o04O0R5og8HQzwAejlQLtvUS

  <head>
  </head>
    The switch may be pipe thread, but you set its depth with shims
    (which are just fiber washers), part# 134 in this diagram:<br>
    <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="https://mossmotors.com/external-gearbox-4-speed-side-shift";>https://mossmotors.com/external-gearbox-4-speed-side-shift</a><br>
    The lever on the shift rod (#94) bumps the switch; it only presses
    against the switch, closing its contacts, in 3rd &amp; 4th. Pushing
    the lever to the right pushes the shift rod to the left into the
    switch. If you have a 'shim' under the switch, removing it, or
    putting a thinner one in, should solve the problem (the tip of the
    switch has limited travel, you don't want to jam it into the
    switch). If not, you'll need a new switch (contacts worn, maybe).
    Least likely, but not impossible, is a worn shift rod (they're
    brass).<br>
      <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:m.g.sharp@sympatico.ca";>m.g.sharp@sympatico.ca</a> wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:005001d88129$774e6be0$65eb43a0$@sympatico.ca">
        medium)">
        {font-family:"Cambria Math";
        panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}@font-face
        {font-family:Calibri;
        panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
        {margin:0cm;
        font-size:11.0pt;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
        mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}span.EmailStyle17
        {mso-style-type:personal-compose;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
        color:windowtext;}.MsoChpDefault
        {mso-style-type:export-only;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
        mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}div.WordSection1
        {page:WordSection1;}</style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026" />
<o:shapelayout v:ext="edit">
<o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
          sideshifter) is dropping out of overdrive if I wiggle the
          shift lever to the left.  This is without doubt opening the
          contact in the gearbox switch that only permits the O/D to
          O/D to disengage.  Pushing the lever to the right re-engages
          it. I do not recall any adjustment on the switch to screw it
          in further, in fact I think it is a pipe thread and will only
          go in so far.  I am not sure what part of the shift lever
          actually bears on the end of the switch to engage it.  The
          workshop manual is not much help in figuring it out.  Is it
          the switch or is it what ever it bears on when in 3<sup>rd</sup>
          or 4<sup>th</sup>?   I have not had the gâ??box cover off to
          look at it yet but thought Iâ??d ask the list if anyone had
          encountered this.  <o:p></o:p></p>

--------------o04O0R5og8HQzwAejlQLtvUS--

--===============0924567692181092915==