Noise

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Noise
From: Chuck Rothfuss <crothfuss@coastalnet.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 13:45:11 -0500
Wendy, List,

  I'll try to be kind to peoples ears with the peripherial port engine.  I'm
gonna try to break it in running through a muffler, but these engines really
perform best with open exhaust.  At Maxton I'll pit away from everyone else
and try to point the exhaust off into the fields.  I might even hand out
disposable hearing protection to those who are unprepared.  I'm the poster
boy for hearing conservation, with two hearing aids, but my losses are more
from artillery and years of running dyno's than from loud rotaries.

  The last things I want are to damage anyones hearing or get slapped with a
mandatory noise restriction on a land speed car.  It takes three feet of
Borla and Supertrapp mufflers to keep the car within acceptable limits at
autocross events with the current engine.  When I swap in the peripherial
port engine I had planned an entirely different exhaust system.  Maybe I can
design in a very large free flowing muffler to try to quiet it a bit. (Big
truck muffler mounted across the back?)  There are lots of nice trees around
the Maxton Mile, and I wouldn't want anyone to string me up in one.

Chuck "Hear-No-Evil" Rothfuss
ECTA

P.S.  My engines may be loud, but they sure sound sweet...from a safe distance!