Race Update

To: Land Speed <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Race Update
From: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 09:15:17 -0800
List,

Well, the racing season is over for this year. What a season it has
been! No great individual accomplishments, but a good time was had by
all and much was learned that may help in the years ahead.

We didn't qualify while running at the Bonneville D/GCC record (228.697
MPH), but we came close with a 228.570 MPH pass. We were able to
increase our < speeds, over our previous best, by 7 MPH to 212.235 MPH,
and at the Lakes meet we may have found our top end problem.

As is usually the case, it took all weekend to get the car to make a
decent run at the Lakes. Fortunately, most of the problems were Jeff's
so he couldn't yell at me. The first problem was really mine, I forgot
to put the spark plug box in when I was packing for the trip. So we made
our first run on well worn warm-up plugs that gave us a 185 MPH pass.
Sunday I made a few adjustments and went to see Les Liggett for a set of
plugs, when installing them Jeff crossed #6 & #8 plug wires which
resulted in an aborted run of 159.

We installed a Racepak Computer just before the World Finals. It is
gathering info that will be of great help in the future. I have already
found that my scoop looks a lot better that it functions. I was getting
  readings that were going negative as the RPM increased. (the system
uses a reference tube out the nose of the car and a sensing tube in the
rear of the scoop. the readings should be at or just above zero) As I
got to understand the system a little better, it was obvious that the
scoop was not delivering the needed air (a reading of -9.7 in) at
anything above about 6000 RPM. So, we did surgery on the scoop for the
last two runs at the Lakes. This gave us the pressure reading that we
were looking for and speeds of 192.201 MPH (Jeff had trouble with the
shift from low gear) and the final pass was 199.852 MPH, which nudged
the record up by .7 MPH, but no "Dirty 200" Club for Jeff this year.

It was rewarding to have Steve Pitt stop by to visit and get acquainted,
he is a true racing fan. Also talked with Keith Young and said hi to
Katie. What a pair of competitors! The numbers that they have done more
with that Jimmy is unbelievable. I saw Ardun Doug in line, but didn't
get his attention, the Nish Streamliner made a respectable appearance on
its first outing with a 242 first pass and a "top time of the meet" 269
for his final run. I also made it up to see Glen while I was waiting
patiently for our turn to run. It really is the best seat in the house

We are still up in the air with our timing readings. I still get
readings that move around. It could be the timing light, cam walk,
or????. Other than that I can't complain. We made 32 five mile runs
during the three meets at Bonneville, plus a couple of aborted passes
and four runs at the Lakes, all with no major engine problems during the
year. As I said in the beginning of this story, "It has been a GREAT year!!"

Tom, Redding CA - #216 D/GCC

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL