Re: Cold Intake

To: "Rick Hammond" <r.hammond@sympatico.ca>,
Subject: Re: Cold Intake
From: "DrMayf" <drmayf@teknett.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 10:33:38 -0800
This is a large subject! Efficiencies on intercoolers can be very high, 80%
or more, but can never lower the exit air temperature less than ambient air
temperature. In other words, if the air temp is 90 degrees and tyou are 100
percent efficient then that is a low as you can go. Unless you are using
water to air or some other heat transfder mechanism like CO2 for the cooling
media. As to hp gains, losses, I think that horsepower goes up or down as
air charge density changes. So If you run your motor on a dyno at standard
conditions and then decided to see what the hp is at B'ville, then just
ratio the air charge densities (I "think"...this could be dangerous, me
thinking, that is). For example the air density ratio fro B'ville at
standard conditions is, again, I think, 0.882 so you would lose about 12
percent of your horsepower. Conversely, if your air charge density went up,
then you would gain back that which was lost. I think this is all prety
calculable (is that a word meaning to be able to calculate?).

mayf