RE: Tech questions- Aircraft Technology crossover

To: "'Dale'" <dmirror@prodigy.net>, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Tech questions- Aircraft Technology crossover
From: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 10:11:33 -0600
Dale;

Aircraft stuff is expensive as the dickens if it's certified airworthy.
Often used stuff can be found in good shape at reasonable prices, though.
Watch out for gauges that use synchros-- these require a synchro sender and
need 115V 400Hz power.

IMHO, the most useful aircraft gauges are the thermocouple EGT, carb air
temp, and airspeed indicators. In fact, my street- legal Manta Mirage didn't
have a speedometer drive after the front suspension was converted to Mustang
II, so I popped a helicopter airspeed indicator in the hole that the VDO
speedometer used to occupy. I mounted a pitot tube in the nose and Voila!, I
was legal. The AZ DOT guys couldn't find anything in the law that sais what
KIND of speedometer was required-- only that one was required.

I bought a nice 250MPH airspeed indicator recently for about $30. I'll use
this in my new car that I'm building. I also have a small 12V to 24V
inverter that will power some interesting a/c stuff.

Regards, Neil     Tucson, AZ