Re: Rulebook Firewall Question

To: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>, <joetimney@dol.net>
Subject: Re: Rulebook Firewall Question
From: "Glen Barrett" <speedtimer@charter.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 14:28:17 -0800
Gentlemen
I think common sense is the rule here. Having been on several rescues over
the years where there was a fair amount of fire I don't think I would run
anything under 1/8 inch aluminum or other metal. The reason I am stating
this is the heat along with concussion caused by a major engine explosion in
the engine compartment can cause enough distortation to the fire wall to
allow liquid and flame into the drivers area. This goes for front or rear
engine vehicles.It doesen't take much of a hole to turn the flame into a
blow torch at speed.

This of course is up to the racer and the current rule book. We are not
being hurt by a little weight  in our sport and the added protection seems
to me it just might protect my ass.

Glen