Variable Orifice Throttle Plates / Slide Injector Throttle

To: albaugh_neil@ti.com, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Variable Orifice Throttle Plates / Slide Injector Throttle
From: FastmetalBDF@aol.com
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 14:19:07 EDT
      Neil ...... I believe you answered your own question about why you
haven' t seen throttle plates that increase and decrease their opening
diameter at each port when you mentioned " cost and complexity "
      It would appear to be an optimum solution to controlling the amount of
air entering each port, but building such a setup does seem to be quite
a challenge as far as keeping it reasonably simple, and with a pricetag
realistic enough to make it a marketable item to racers that cannot
shovel truckloads of money at their cars as do the Formula 1 owners .......
        I think the slidethrottle openings for injectors are very efficient,
even if not the ultimate air control, and I remember seeing a homebrewed
set of them on the C & T Automotive hemi heads in a roadster featured
in a 50s issue of Hot Rod Magazine back around my high school days .
       I always kept an eye out for other slide injectors in rodding, and
later
on Jack Roush had a set on his storming Gapp & Roush C / Gasser that
ran back in his draggin' years.  I am uncertain at what point they were first
urtilized on F1 powerhouses, maybe Bob Swanson or Ardun Bill can
enlighten us on when, and what marque, got them on the track first ........
     I always thought that a square, or at least, rectangular, opening
on the slide, sliding over a square or rectangular port orifice on the head
surface would have a more consistent increase and decrease in air
volume as the throttle was moved ........than sliding a circular hole
over a likewise round port opening, not even taking into consideration
the increased area of the square over the round holes ........
        I have seen tunnel ram setups that equalled or exceeded the
power derived from mechanical port injectors, but for sharp, immediate
throttle response I myself have not seen any carbs that could approach
a properly set up and tuned set of Hilborns ( Stu's Tubes, they used to
be called ), Crowers, Enderles or Jacksons ........ anybody SEEN
any Algons lately ???    I miss the era here in the Northeast when
not only the Supermodifieds, but the Modified stock cars, as well,
ran port injectors, on alky sometimes, and the vicious crack of their
exhaust note sent shivers of ecstasy through us all ........ back when
horsepower and backyard innovation was not limited by the endless
rules and regulations that are the norm today in the business
that oval track racing has become ........
       Just a few thoughts of mine about injected engines .........
                          I have always loved ' em !!!!!
               Bruce
 on the Connecticut shoreline