Re: Harbor Freight / Engine stands/hoists

To: Ralph Forsythe <rf-list@centerone.com>, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Harbor Freight / Engine stands/hoists
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2003 11:47:12 -0800 (PST)
I have a HF hydraulic engine hoist, and one each of the two engine stands they
make.  I've pulled a hemi with transmission with the hoist with no problem.  An
FE is, indeed, heavy, but it ain't no Chrysler elephant!  The little "C" clips
came loose on the wheels - I drilled the shafts and put coter pins in and
problem solved.  I've had SBC and hemis on the engine stands.  The lighter
stand is a little "springy" with the hemi on it.  I scrapped the paint off
around where the pieces of the legs slip together and ran a weld bead to assist
the bolts.  I also added a gusset at the base.  Still a lot cheaper than the
big bucks stands and they work fine.  Use good grade 8 bolts for the engine
bolts, and add flat washers to be on the save side.  Overall, I've been happy
with all three items.
Dick J
 Ralph Forsythe <rf-list@centerone.com> wrote:Well, ha anyone used the hoists
and stands that HF sells? They're cheap,
and with the talk of quality I figure I'd ask. There is't much to be
"durable" on them, short of them not dropping an engine block, so if they
suck I'd like to know now.

I need to pull an FE block out of a Ford pickup, and these are not light
weight - probably 700 pounds give or take. Am I ok going with this stuff,
or should I look elsewhere?

Or, does anyone in or around the Denver area have a stand and/or hoist
they are looking to sell?

Thanks,
-rf