FIA Record Holders

To: LSR List <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: FIA Record Holders
From: Malcolm Pittwood <MPittwood@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 16:08:51 -0400
List,

Greetings from England where a version of winter has returned - sub zero
temperatures and ice....

Had to wait awhile before responding to Russel Macks little prods at the
FIA and the people who hold their land speed records.  (My tongue is in the
side of my mouth - but I do have a multi layer fire suit.....)

The FIA Speed Record lists (that I admit are somewhat poor in presentation)
are to be found on on the FIA website and have been their for many years.

Starting with the flying start  kilo and mile records for supercharged cars
lets look at some of the 'millionaires' and 'knighthoods' who hold records
shall we .......

Howard Nafzger....Phil Hill....Bob Herda....Bill Summers....Al
Teague....Nick Mays....James Burkdoll....Fred Larson (sp)....and one (Sir)
Stirling Moss and one (Major) Goldie Gardner.

For the standing start 1/4 mile we find names such as Dick LaHaie...Don
Garlits...Gene Snow...well they ran for NHRA or IHRA so they must have lots
of money too...?

And these were just on page 1.

Page two there is a certain Mickey Thompson driving Assault - must be
another rich racer!  Then Lyn St James (she raced CART ovals I believe, so
must she have brought her record too?).    We are now into duration
distances and we find Donald Healey and Mickey Thompson (again).

Page 3 we get to Ab Jenkins....then Ken Miles....Carroll Shelby....Graham
Hill...Jo Siffert...Craig Breedlove.......and when we get to the 10,000km
and 10,000 mile records set in 1963 on page 6 the list looks as though it
was all the Nascar Ford team's in one car  - Baker, Ward, Martin, Parsons,
and over 30 more - but it was probably factory money that you do not like
at Bonneville.

Then when we return to the 'time' speed records for 1 hour  - we get to see
records for Ken Miles...Donald Healey....Mickey Thompsom...Ab Jenkins...

Mix in a few more Brits, Italians and Germans and you may now understand
why the jibes about Europeans coming with mega budgets is so laughable over
here!

And when we get to the non blown classes we find such rich racers as Al
Holbert...Don Stringfellow...Lyn St James...Terry Nish....Bob Glidden (well
yes he probably spent Motocraft money!)...Richard Thomason...

Shall I go on?....Oh let me name a few more.........

Just to finish with some Diesels - we find Angus Hamilton (He is a Duke and
is keeper of the Queens Scottish residence)...Virgil Snyder...George
Eyston... and in electric Pat Rummerfield...in turbines Bruce Linsmeyer.

Thought I should share this (abbreviated list) with this group just to show
I could only find One Sir, One Major and One Duke!  And before Don Vesco
there was Donald Campbell who held the designation of CBE (Commander of the
British Empire).

Malcolm Pittwood, Derby, England.

ps. Please note I did not even mention Thrust power and the World's
Outright Speed Record.....