RE: FIA List - needs updating

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: FIA List - needs updating
From: "Russel Mack" <rtmack@concentric.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 03:13:25 -0500
Jack:
maybe I have a little different perspective than the guys who are running
the really fast machines (and others that would fit into "international"
classes, as currently written).  And maybe I don't completely understand the
implications of the new procedure that Glen alluded-to.

Personally, I feel no need for "international" records, as they are
currently promoted.  I have no interest in paying more for the privilege of
running, and I don't enjoy waiting in the long lines any more than anyone
else.

What I think is that the records that go into the SCTA Rulebook are
completely sufficient.  They stand alone, without need for international
support.  Likewise, the records in the ECTA books, and the records in the
"club" books of our friends from "down-under" and "across the pond".  Those
who study the records know the differences (and similarities) under which
they were established, and we can judge for ourselves the comparative
significance of each.  That large fraction of the world with no LSR
expertise-- don't really care anyway; why try to impress them?

>From that perspective, I see no reason to do anything special for
"international" runs at World Finals.  EVERY SCTA run is as good as an
"international" run, to me.  I don't care if you can't directly compare what
I do with what somebody did in the '30s.  YOU will know the significance (or
insignificance) of what I do-- and GLEN will-- and MALCOLM will, too.
Likewise, so will Gary Baker, and other non-US LSR people.  Why do I need it
written-down in some "international" book?  Our little community includes
everyone who really cares, anyway.  And we read each others record lists and
rulebooks, whenever we can get access to them.
Russ, #1226B