Re: trans heat

To: DrMayf <drmayf@teknett.com>
Subject: Re: trans heat
From: Doug Odom <popms@thegrid.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 17:04:44 -0700
Mayf, First I am not a auto trans expert. I have been to school on them and
building them since 1969. With an automatic trans I can see no real performance
increase in preheating the oil. The oil in a auto trans with a converter will
heat up quickly because of the converter. The trans oil cooler only takes about
10% of the oil from the front pump and uses it for lube oil. I have taken many
transmissions apart. I have never seen one that failed because it got too cold,
but most fail because they got too hot. I run a drive unit not a converter, I
loop the cooler line right back to the trans for lube oil. The only thing the
oil does in my trans is hydraulically hold the clutches and or band tight. I use
the synthetic trans oil so its thin to start with. This is just my opinion and
what I have had success with. Someone has a better idea, I'm open to ideas.
Doug Odom in big ditch