camshaft break-in procedures

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: camshaft break-in procedures
From: Scott Cowle <scowle@mentorcollege.edu>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 07:03:36 -0600
    For many of you this is going to seem like a stupid question but I'm not
racing this weekend because I had my new camshaft lose the #6 exhaust lobe,
and it is a brand new cam with only 3 days of running time on it which makes
me think it went during the break-in procedure. It is a solid lifter cam.
When I put it in I coated all of it liberally with cam lube, then it was
necesary to rotate it a couple of times to set the valves and then I put
more camlube on then STP oil Treatment and then I poured oil over that .
However I was only able to run it for 5 minutes before I had to shut it down
due to a leak and the rockers were way too loose. I( think I screwed up the
break-in procedure and this cost me the cam and this weekend. I don't want
to miss another race , so be honest here, does it sound like it was my
fault, what should I have done?   Scott