Re: high speed stability

To: Glen Barrett <speedtimer@charter.net>
Subject: Re: high speed stability
From: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 17:10:17 -0800
Glen & all,

No, I haven't done a study on this. When we were having out ill handling
problems back in 1997, we were out of balance, heavy in the rear, but
were still breaking traction. we added 500 lbs. of ballast just behind
the front axle to balance the car. It still was loose, but the back end
didn't try to lead.

I really don't have anything intelligent to reveal on this subject. But
I do have some thoughts...(1)It is much better to handle the air over
the car than to add ballast. We are now making more HP than when we were
having the handling problems, but the car handles like it is on rails. I
attribute this to two things, first, better salt, and second, the
addition of a spoiler. (2) Unless you can afford some very expensive
high tech research, it is basically a guessing game. Sure there are some
rules that have been established from others experience, but each time
you make a modest increase in speed, you are in new territory for your car.

I do intend to add some monitoring equipment to our car to measure down
force/lift if I can work it out. The way our car is designed, I am
certain that we are applying a load to the front end, maybe too much. I
don't think that this is a problem for handling, but maybe for tires, etc.

Tom, Redding CA - #216 D/CC