m/c rules

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: m/c rules
From: john robinson <john@engr.wisc.edu>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 07:34:29 -0600
Howdy, I have waited a while before I sent this email. I wanted to be sure
that it conveys my opinions correctly, and cool off too.
         How come the rule changes for, say, modified roadster, or, say,
classic class get published in their entirety (landracing.com) in Nov. and
m/c rule changes get sent to the list only as verbal third party partial
renditions in Dec, which leads to misunderstanding and frantic emails. Last
couple of years pretty much the same thing happened. If I were to say that
this year the FM/R,GM/R or VGCC rules are changed, and several cars are now
illegal, and the only way the competitors would find this out is when the
rule books were mailed to them in March, you would bet that next year the
rule changes would be listed waaaay early for the car guys, so why doesn't
it happen for the m/c guys? Last year this exact thing happened to the m/c
guys, rules were changed, and several bikes made illegal, and it sounds
like the same thing is happening this year.
SCTA has the complete list of changes, publish all of them so all
competitors know the rules and can plan for them.
I seem to get the rule book in late feb or early march here in WI, kinda
late to be making changes in my bike.(or waiting until then and starting!)
The car guys got the changes already, why don't the m/c guys have theirs?
One suggestion, have anybody ( in SCTA ) with the new m/c changes snail
mail them to landracing.com so they can post them, as it seems there are no
m/c guys with the rule changes online. another suggestion, have SCTA
publish the rule changes on the SCTA website, but not the entire set of
rules, only the changes. This still allows the SCTA to sell the rule books,
but gives the competitors official rule changes in a timely manner. Third
suggestion, have somebody on the m/c committee start posting to the List,
so all competitors can benefit from the information.
         Sometimes it seems to me, that the guys in CA, living more or less
next door to one another, seem to forget the rest of us....case in point,
has anybody snail mailed questions or concerns to SCTA? I'll bet you never
got an answer to your letter, or in my personal case, letters, plans and
video. I'm just a little guy, got a record that I worked hard for, but it
isn't in the sexy roadsters or fast 200+ class, and am working on a m/c
right now, but I send my $60 in every year, and support USFRA and when
asked, Save the Salt too, and most years go to Speed Week and usually get
$50-75 worth of tshirts to take home, and leave some cash in the axillary
box when I do. But I live in the middle of the country, and don't
participate in the tuesday conference ala landracing.com, don't live in Ca,
and it sure seems like I'm a lone voice in the wilderness. bet there are
others who feel the same too.....

           John Robinson