Ladder Frame diagonal cross brace welding.

To: <land-speed@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Ladder Frame diagonal cross brace welding.
From: "J I Waldron" <jwaldron47@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 09:50:26 -0500
Perhaps I am over thinking this.

I'm building a frame from round tube, with two horizontal main members and
several vertical cross members.  I want to diagonally brace each square
section.  So, a single box section starts out looking kind of like a Roman
Numeral II (2) and with the diagonal brace winds up looking kind of like a
Roman Numeral IV (4).

I weld in the first vertical cross member (lets call it the one on the right
side), all around.  Then I put in the diagonal brace, and the next vertical
member (the left side) to hold it in place.  Assume the diagonal runs from
lower right to upper left.  I can weld the lower right end of the diagonal
all around.  I can weld the lower end of the left vertical all around.  At
the upper left, with the vertical member snugged up to the diagonal, I can
weld the diagonal all around, but I can only weld half around the vertical
because the other half is now covered up by the diagonal.

I assume the loads are carried through the welds on the diagonal member.
But, half the circumference of the vertical tube is not welded to the
horizontal.

I can't be the first person come up against this.  Is it just not an issue,
or am I missing a simple way to weld up everything?

Thanks,
Jim.