Re: Rotation Drag and other problems

To: <land-speed@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Rotation Drag and other problems
From: "J I Waldron" <jwaldron47@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2005 20:50:21 -0500
Skip,

I have heard it recommended that a metal plate be fashioned and
placed at an angle to the tire, designed for close tolerance when
the tire is rotating, to strip off air to avoid pumping losses in the
wheel well. (A tire probably makes a marginal centrifugal pump.)
Makes sense to me.  Given this, vents along the max circumference
of the wheel well might be good, with several all around to vent
new air 'pumped' out by the tire rotation.  I'm guessing the plate
should be at the back of the wheel well at the bottom opening
edge.

Thanks,
Jim W.